Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tea Wars

Talking The Tea Wars

I had so much fun making this one! Most of my smaller shoots never span more than one day, but I was forced to do some re-shoots for this on the second day. I'm glad I did, with the benefit of a rest and a look over the rushes and a rough cut, it makes a world of difference and the footage I re-shot (all of me in the corridor at the beginning) looks 10 times better.

Anyway, this is my first proper go at these effects and an action type sequence, so I'm open to critique.

Just in case anyone would have an issue with it. These are airsoft guns and I am legally able to own replica imitation firearms. Under the VCRA I have both a defence as a skirmisher and a film maker.

Its good for what it is. But I cant get the love for loads of guns, fair enough you want to showcase your talent at adding the bullet flare and sounds of automatic weapons going off. Would be nice if realistic guns were used minimally or not shown in a good or comedic light. I may regret saying that tho as I have a cheapo toy cap gun that I want to use in a future film. But overall your film is well made but any longer it would have gotten a bit 'meh'.
    Out of interest how are you and others adding these gun flare and noise effects?
    Last edited by jimbob2k; 10-08-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Not up to some of your previous stuff Clay.

My opinion's thee same as Jimbob. Filming was okay, sound not bad but the story was weak and the humour childish. This has been done so many times before. I understand that it's aimed at pubescent boys but... it's a bit "so what?" I'm afraid.

I know that you could do really good things, if you lost the guns (or at least, the gunfight) and concentrated more on a story.

yeah, just about the right length i think. action was well shot (see what i did there) particularly from the stairs scene. majority of the fx were well done particularly the 2 bullets into the wooden door and attention to detail showing them in the following scene.

let down by the hand gun sound fx ..... it sounded like a cap gun ! didn't really think the 'joke' was particularly funny either.

to sum up, well shot but not as funny as your usual stuff.

Thanks for the feedback so far, it goes to show that I am never the best judge of my own work as this is one of my favourites I've created to date. Im sorry it doesn't carry the greatest humour or punchline, yes it relies on the gunplay but I thought there was enough of a 'story'.

I very much didn't want a pointless shootout which is why I top and tailed it with the tea/coffee thing. I was also very much considering the time, I agree that in it's current form it couldn't have gone on longer. There was just enough and not too much.

The muzzle flashes are surprisingly easy, find a suitable flash on a black background and set the composite mode to screen, which removes the black. Then place the flash at the desired location and size. Take the underlying frame and duplicate, setting the composite to add then mask out the areas of the body, wall, furniture that would be lit up by the muzzle. Add sugar, and repeat.

For me this was more of a proof on concept idea, trying my hand at new things.

Have to agree that it's not a funny to me as some of your other stuff but I liked the idea that strangers keep coming into your house and doing things, didgeridoo etc..

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    The muzzle flashes are surprisingly easy, find a suitable flash on a black background and set the composite mode to screen, which removes the black. Then place the flash at the desired location and size. Take the underlying frame and duplicate, setting the composite to add then mask out the areas of the body, wall, furniture that would be lit up by the muzzle. Add sugar, and repeat.
    Come again?

Is this in vegas or final cut pro. Where do you get these black beckground effects.

It's the principal which will apply to any video edit software. I use Final Cut Pro 7, you can find free stock effects online.
    Just do a search for muzzle tutorial on youtube, I followed one by freddiew2.

it just occured to me you look like a young jason statham in the image above ..... is that that your itended new audiance what with all the guns and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    it just occured to me you look like a young jason statham in the image above ..... is that that your itended new audiance what with all the guns and stuff
    haha noooo. I'm not moving into gun skits generally (when I say that I mean I have no plans to, but you never know). Although I do have a 3 min script that involves guns, they're generally an aid to the story and it's not a shoot'em'up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast