Thread: Converting AVI to MPEG2 - download software or buy??

Default Converting AVI to MPEG2 - download software or buy??

I have bought a Muvi HD PRo Gumball 3000 which films in 1080' but output is AVI. I am using Sony Vegas 8.0 and Adobe Premiere Pro to edit movies - both really struggle with the AVI (probably the computer!)
    I have downloaded free shareware to convert to MPEG-2 (as soon as I use MPEG-2, the software edits with ease!) the shareware used is GUIFFMPEG. It converts the AVI very quickly and without adding watermark, however, as expected, the quality has changed a little - sends to 720 from original 1080i quality. Would I get better quality from an AVI-MPEG2 Convertor that I pay for? if so, can someone recommend one - dont mind paying as long as I know it will give better results (quality from GUIFFMPEG is still good for internet, but noticed a couple of small marks that arent on the original). One negative thing about GUIFFMPEG is that I can only convert one file at a time. When I use Panasonic's Photofun 5.1 to convert the videos from AVHD Lite to MPEG2, it converts all the selected at once

thanks for any advice

You could try Super (just Google it) and see how it converts the files.

Problem here really is that AVI is a wrapper file and is used for about 800 different file types!
    Most likely the real designation of the files you have is MP4 or H.264.
    You can download a free utility called G-spot (no, I am NOT joking!) and it will identify exactly what codec was used to create the file.

Default try Videolobster

Try VideoLobster!

Its main advantages are:
    - Absolutely free;
    - Supporting almost all known video and audio formats;
    - There is an ability to set any options for all supported formats that makes the application a completely professional tool;
    - There is an ability to apply different filters to video, perform crop and resize;
    - Application has a wizard like interface; you only need to successively perform all steps for your project; Besides you always can return to any previous step;
    - The application can be maximized filling the entire screen, so the whole screen area is used completely; the video player can be resized directly;
    - The application interface can be translated to any language. Now translations for several languages are ready;
    - The professional version of the application has an ability to overlay video with any watermarks such as text, images, pictures, geometric figures, etc.