Thread: Compatibility between Premiere Pro 1.5 (Windows) and Premiere Pro CS4 (Mac)

Default Compatibility between Premiere Pro 1.5 (Windows) and Premiere Pro CS4 (Mac)

Hello,
    I'm new here and I have a little problem that requires a quick answer.

I'm negotiating a contract with a potential customer and he wants a video montage to be done on premiere pro. He want me to deliver him a .prproj file that he will be able to modify (apply effects to it).

I work with Premiere Pro CS4 Mac and he works with Premiere Pro 1.5 on windows.

He wants to make sure that he will be able to open and modify my file.

Can anyone assure me that we won't get any problem with my file?

Thanks in advance. And sorry for my poor english, I speak French.

m-j_h

He won't be able to open the newer version project with the older version of Premiere. If he was to get CS4 or later he'd be able to open the Mac file on the Windows machine, but you need to be careful with font selection if any.

David.

Thank you David fot your answer.

So the 1.5 is the oldest version? It's the CS1, I guess... ok so I think I get it.

I guess that a test would be the best solution. I'll propose him.

Thanks again for your help,

m-j_h

Would you know what version of Premiere Pro (for Mac, of course) I should get so it can work?

There were many versions before that, "Premiere v6.5" became "Premiere Pro 1", I can't remember but I don't think there were any changes, just the name. Then came Pro 1.5, there wasn't another .5 version until CS5.5 so next was Pro 2. Then, if I remember right, the first version that went into "Creative Suite" was the next one, "Pro 3", to be "CS3".

I remembered that Premiere stopped being available for Mac at some time and then returned, so I just had a look through the version history on Wikipedia, they say it was "Premiere 6.5" then "v7" and "Pro 1" were the same thing, that's not the way I remember it, but I'm sure they're more likely to be right.

Adobe Premiere Pro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not important, but your out of luck anyway. When they changed the version names back to 1 and added the "Pro" prefix that's when it stopped being available for Mac, and they re-wrote the programing (I think it's now time to do that again). It wasn't until they went with "CS3" that it returned to Mac so you won't get a version of "Pro 1.5" for Mac.

The only way you'll make this work is if you get a PC with "Pro 1.5" on it or if they upgrade to "CS4" or later. Or, if they don't want to do anything major or time consuming they could instal the trial version of the latest version that should run for 1 month and will open your "CS4" project file.

David.

Thank you again for these excellent informations.

Your final advise is, I think, the best one to follow. I will propose that option to my customer.

Thank you so much for your help. I can now go to sleep feeling better. (4h30am here...)

Best regards,

Mary

I just had another thought that could complicate the issue. "CS5" went 64bit native and won't run on a 32bit OS. If they're running "Pro 1.5", which I don't think would run on a 64bit OS (but I may be wrong) they're probably running a 32bit OS and I don't think they could still get the "CS4" trial version that will run on 32bit (but again I may be wrong).

David.