Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royal Wedding Street Party

Blog Entries

Default Royal Wedding Street Party

Our club decided we ought to record one or two of the local street parties on April 29th for posterity. One of our members, Barrie, in his 80s wanted to try out his new shoulder mount camera and unwisely decided I'd make a presenter.
    He's managed to sell 10 or DVD packages ontaining the original 2 hours worth of footage and his one-hour (!) edit to the residents of the street.

This is my somewhat shorter edit (though I accept it's still too long for a general audience). I appreciate it's a little bit late, but i didn't want to post it until I'd let the club see it, which they did last Friday.

I'm not expecting Paxman to feel threatened.

Tim

I didn't think the rear view tracking shot worked it would have been better from the front. Good idea to have the split screen for the children's fancy dress parade this cuts down the screen time but gets more children on the screen. There was a bit of a jarring cat at 6:28 you seem to cut of the previous interviewee before she's finished also a bit of a jump cut when you where signing off at the end.

I think you did a great job as the interviewer, getting the people to talk, asking the right sort of questions, the nodding acknowledgments etc. all of it was well executed.

I think it's great to have these local events recorded for prosperity.

Well done to all.

Blog Entries

Cheers Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post

I didn't think the rear view tracking shot worked it would have been better from the front.

Agreed, but it was unplanned. We'd anticipated talking and filming once we'd got to the house, but she decided to start talking straight away. Fortunatey Barrie just kept the camera rolling so we got the audio. I guess it adds a certain "realism" or "fly on the wall" element to the film. I wasn't so worried about that as the fact that generally there are too many shots of the backs of the interviewees.

Barrie did an OK job, but it ain't easy being an octogenarian cameraman. I've got about 6 minutes of footage of the whole pass the parcel busines shot from standing height looking down at kids - there's only so many times you can tell someon of advancing years to get right down into the action!

Good idea to have the split screen for the children's fancy dress parade this cuts down the screen time but gets more children on the screen.

You didn't want to see the whole 5 minute sequence then?

There was a bit of a jarring cat at 6:28 you seem to cut of the previous interviewee before she's finished

(I think you mean 6:38 ) Funny how I hadn't spotted that - should have stuck in a cutaway to hide the join.

also a bit of a jump cut when you where signing off at the end.

I thought the difference is shot size was enough to make it a cut to CU (they were from different takes) Barrie insisted on the sign-off. I thought it was rather old hat, but it seems to work for the rather old-fashioned feel of teh piece.

I think you did a great job as the interviewer, getting the people to talk, asking the right sort of questions, the nodding acknowledgments etc. all of it was well executed.
    I don't think it was a dreadful job for a first attempt, but you flatter me. Watching yourself back on video is a great way to learn though and (bearing in mind I've seen all the stuff I've cut out) I know I need to bloody shut up and let them get on with it!

Thanks for watching and commenting.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 10-04-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Tim

I thought it was well produced, it kept moving at a fast enough pace to not get boring. It's nice to see another side, a more personal side to big events like a royal wedding that are blown up into a massive spectacle on TV.

I like the can do attitude that says lets just get out and film stuff.

Very impressive Tim! A very relaxed interviewing technique and nice clear audio too.
    I've covered a few community events like this and one of my failings is getting relaxed vox pops from participants, it makes a huge difference.
    It's not technically perfect, but it captures the real spirit of the event.
    You should all be very proud of this and I know in 50 years everyone will look back in wonder.
    In the past I've been requested to send my community DVDs the the North West Film archive. I'm sure your area archive would welcome this DVD to include in their treasure trove. Very well done!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

There were a few wobbly wonky shots of houses at the beginning. When it changes to the shot of you walking into the street its from a different area, no brick wall. Then it looks like you are walking into a telegraph pole. The furry mic looks a bit unprofessional if Im honest. I know its for the wind and stuff, but I found myself looking at it too much. There is a shot at the start of a bloke picking up what could be dog poo? I wouldnt have had that int there.The bit with the mayor makes him look like a bit of an arse, holding a knife like that, saying what he does. Some good interviews, very nice to have it all there for the residents viewing.BTW Has anyone mentioned you sound like Harry Hill?

Dog Poo Harry Hill

harry hill x 3

nice job tim.
    dead cat did a good job masking the wind ! whats under the dead cat BTW ?

Blog Entries

Wow, thanks for all the comments!
    Zero's "not technically perfect" is nicely understated, but "capturing the spirit" is all we were going for. And as clay-9 says - it's good to see teh small scale, personal side of such days. S I'm chuffed with both comments.
    Jimbob: Wobby shots - this was a tricky one - I did consider taking stills from the video, but that looked equally wrong. These were early shots and I don't think Barrie had quite got the feel for his camera at that point.
    It hadn't occured to me the guy might be picking up dog poo! We were just taking general shots of "peparation". Now you've put that thought in my mind, I think I'd choose to leave it out too (this is where extra pairs of eyes coem in handy).
    The wind gag was for a short shotgun (Rode Videomic) whereas the mic was something in teh shape of a hand-held singers mic (like an SM5. Barrie wanted to use that mic but didbn't have a dead cat. This one was the only one I had which fitted over the "bulb" at the business end, so I had to hold it on by hand. I agree entirely it looks wrong and, once you've noticed it, it is distracting. Still I'd rather sacrifice that than the audio.
    I also agree about the mayor, but it was his request we filmed & recorded that (apparently he always made a point of using that "gag" whenever he had to cut a cake).
    Howver the walkong at the beginning - well spotted! I hadn't and I hate it now...
    Harry Hill? Maybe I'll buy bigger glasses and collars.
    I don't know what the mic is. It was plastic, weighed about as much as a box of matches and was terminated with a 3.5mm jack (which went into a wireless transmitter). I didn't hold out any hope for the audio.
    However, there was surprisingly little handling noise and the dead cat did its stuff. I think I rather offended Barrie by referring to it as a "cheap" mic - it turns out that despite the look and feel it was mearly "cheapish" (in the 150 area)
    Tim

Blog Entries

Okay Tim, brace yourself...

Nah, seriously, not a bad job. I also think that it's vital to record these events. If the government doesn't sell the BBC to Murdoch, in 20 years this footage will be shown as "historical" and be invaluable.

I really, honestly think you made a good reporter. You asked sensible questions, gave the "victim" time to answer and got them to talk. You look good in front of the camera (surprising, coz in real life you're an ugly bugger) and came across as relaxed. Your PTC (Pieces to Camera) got better as the day went on, you were a bit self-conscious to start with but the later ones were really professional.

A couple of niggles...

In my opinion there are too many backs of heads. I think the cameraman should have run (if he can at his age) 'round to the front and got you walking towards him. If not, stop everyone, walk to the front and then get the shot. Especially that long walk & talk at 1:30ish
    You did a good job with the interviews, I liked the way you turned to the interviewee but the camera, again in my opinion, should have tightened a bit so that we didn't constantly see the back of your head.
    Your cameraman needs to watch his framing (Oi! Robespierre, you're chopping off their heads!) but generally it was quite good.

All in all, I enjoyed it. You were a good presenter and could do more of this sort of stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast