Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Streaks in the video, PLEASE HELP

1. Default Streaks in the video, PLEASE HELP

i used to do alot of editing with avid and Standard def mini DV stuff
    ive recently got a canon XHA1S and started making videos,
    However the first project ended up with streaks through the video on youtube

please look and tell me what you think i did wrong, it was filmed with 25f and edited on final cut pro 7, exported as an avi optimised for streaming i think, im not even sure it was al done in a hurry..........but what is the KEY to making HD video stay smooth and not sreaky, like inbetween two frames of movement theres these lines i cant get rid of

here is the video

hanks alot for your help guys
    Last edited by whiteelephantfilms1; 10-03-2011 at 07:07 AM.

2. Default

and if anyone can help explain page 42 in this manual i would be eternally gratefull

Blog Entries

If you mean the streaks from the bright street light at 0:41 then it's one of two things...
    It is either in the recording (which I would be very surprised at since the Canon XH range don't have a tendency to this) cause by an overload in the buffer. Basically think of it as the signal from the chip is stored in a buffer then processed and written to tape. Really strong light sources can "bleed" into adjacent cells, like having too much ink on a written word which then smudges onto following letters and words. Canon is not known for this problem but it can happen.

The same sort of thing when it was converted in the edit. You'll have to look at your original tape to see where the problem lies.

Right, now for the manual...

It's hard to explain but simple to understand.

Think of video as words on a page, written in lines. It starts at the top left and goes along the line to the top right then onto the second line and then the third line and so on. This happens 25 times a second in "P" mode. Our eyes will see a flicker at frequencies less than about 40 frames a second so, to avoid this, each frame is shown twice. They are called "fields" as distinct from "frames". On this system the first "field" consists of the odd numbered lines, the second frame consists of the even numbered lines so a picture like...

is shown as

Followed by

Your eye holds the images long enough for the two to merge together and be seen as.

This is known as interlaced. So, the Canon sees the footage at 25 frames per second and out puts it at 50 fields per second.

4. Default

maybe i just have super fast eyesight cos i'm seeing the interlacing........
    thanks for your help, i will try some different stuff when i have a edit suite again this was done rushed on a friends whose i cant access now.

can you not see what im talkign about the whole way through the video? every time there is movement?

It doesn't look like interlace artefacts to me it looks more like, bad de-interlacing ie it was shot interlaced but rendered progressive and the software didn't do a very good job with the de-interlacing. I don't know what editing program you used but it could have been your project setting ie wrong field order etc.

6. Default

I used final cut pro 7, what is wrong field order please?

The field order goes back to what Rob was explaining with his abcdef etc. it's about the way interlaced video is processed. As Rob has explained with interlaced footage it is shown on the screen with all the odd lines and then all the even lines but so fast that the eye just sees it as the whole picture. With Standard definition video the field order OR the order in which the fields are read is different to high definition video. So SD = lower field first, HD = Upper field first.

The important thing to know as an editor is that you need to select the correct field order in your NLE settings and this should sort out your image problem.

If you Google interlace and progressive I'm sure you'll find some much better explanations than mine with pictures illustrating what I'm trying to say.

8. Default

Thank you very much for your help, so when i get to edit my next video i need to make sure my NLE settings are set to the same as my video right?
    and if i search in the final cut help file NLE or field order i should find the answer

thanks alot again

so when i get to edit my next video i need to make sure my NLE settings are set to the same as my video right?
    That's right. When you do your final render you can deinterlace the footage ie select progressive but if not make sure the correct field order is selected ie same as original raw footage.

10. Default

Sorry to keep asking but i worked out how to export my HD files with no deinterlaced streaks or whatever you call them
    but im having trouble with SD now!!!!

is appearing like this when something moves

so i exported it without this but the video lsot its aspect ratio!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast