Thread: Sony Vegas Pro 10.0 - Downloading Effects?

Default Sony Vegas Pro 10.0 - Downloading Effects?

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone, I'm new to these forums and haven't browsed much.

I've gotten back into editing and would like to learn a whole lot more with my editing software (Sony Vegas Pro 10.0). One thing I've always wanted to know about is downloading effects (or plug-ins? Not sure if that's the technical term or not). I started editing CoD videos on the Xbox 360, montages, commentaries and little stuff here and there.

I use a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle to record my gameplay off of PC/Xbox 360 and edit it in SVP 10.0.

I'm currently working on a team montage for my friend's team and I'd like to take some of the effects and transitions to the next level, can someone guide me in the right direction when it comes to downloading effects and what not? I've limited myself to video effects like levels (flashes and what not), brightness and contrast, sharpness, saturation adjust, light rays, linear blurs and all that good stuff. I'm replicating the same basic effects in most of my productions and I would like each of them to be unique in their own respect.

I'd really appreciate some help on the matter, additionally I'd like to apologize if this is a frequently reoccurring topic. I searched the forums for my particular issue and couldn't come up with any results, maybe I just don't have an eye around these forums yet so once again I'm sorry if this is a common topic.

Thanks in advance!

Blog Entries

Hi Necrodox,

Funnily enough this is not a recurring question on this or most other video forums, and this is probably why you haven't found much. The reason is that one of the first lessons one learns when producing videos is to avoid effects like the plague. This makes us all feel immediately superior to anyone who does use effects

Of course that's in the world of editing together narrative video (dramas and documentaries) which has been shot on a camera. And indeed many people spend a lit of money on effects, but these tend to be subtle colour grading effects rather than the sort of whizz-bang transisions which may well be suitable for what you're trying to do and often for flashy titles.

One of the best selections of transitions that you might like to look at are from NewBlue FX, though I suspect even these are not dynamic enough for you.
    Tim

If you use an effect with custom settings often, you can save it so it is ready like the preset templates if this helps you at all. I can't help with extra plug ins as I've never used them.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hi Necrodox,

Funnily enough this is not a recurring question on this or most other video forums, and this is probably why you haven't found much. The reason is that one of the first lessons one learns when producing videos is to avoid effects like the plague. This makes us all feel immediately superior to anyone who does use effects

Of course that's in the world of editing together narrative video (dramas and documentaries) which has been shot on a camera. And indeed many people spend a lit of money on effects, but these tend to be subtle colour grading effects rather than the sort of whizz-bang transisions which may well be suitable for what you're trying to do and often for flashy titles.

One of the best selections of transitions that you might like to look at are from NewBlue FX, though I suspect even these are not dynamic enough for you.
    I had a feeling that was the reason, don't get me wrong I wouldn't want to come off as the guy that likes to add needless effects into a video simply to have it in there. With the video game montages I do I try and keep it very fast paced, smooth and fierce transitions, giving it a sort of wild feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If you use an effect with custom settings often, you can save it so it is ready like the preset templates if this helps you at all. I can't help with extra plug ins as I've never used them.
    I do use custom settings often, is there a way to save effects with the keyframes as well?

I do use custom settings often, is there a way to save effects with the keyframes as well?
    Please don't ask me that question. :( I thought there was but can't find out how to do it. This may be because a clip or event as the purist like to call them, could be any length. So key frames would be pointless well that's my theory at the moment.