Thread: Vegas Studio 10; Editing longer clips

Default Vegas Studio 10; Editing longer clips

:- If after careful Editing (bringing together) the masterpiece, one of my "longer" takes needs cutting - How do I do this, in Vegas Studio v10?
    I know how to make space at the front (to squeeze-in missing Titles) - I "select all" and move 'em over a bit.
    I know how to cut a clip, Cursor "S" the select part and "Cut" (although I'm unsure why I do not use the Delete key. I think "Show me How" tutorial insists on "Cut"

]

Now the matter of cutting-out a section: If I (cursor "S" Cut) remove a piece, I don't find "Auto-Ripple" always closes things up. There may be a music track which isn't cut, maybe that's it.
    ---and "where" do others put this piece?, so it might be available later-on.
    - as I'm unaware of a deleted-cuttings bin.

I find I either "Cut" it (so it's soon lost in the Undo edit file) - or, I slide it beyond the End. ---and I've discovered a few "rogues" after burning a DVD's.

+ I suppose what I really want is a means of allowing the cursor to "jump-over" my "excess", - so I can adjust it, knowing it can be returned perfectly. Is that possible? Would such a "jump-over" be included in the final Render - or will it re-appear....?

So much to learn.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-01-2011 at 03:24 PM.

This sounds very complicated but it isn't. Drag the end of the clip to adjust it's length drag the whole of the clip to move it on the time line. If it's not at the end of a clip, split it with the S key and then you can drag these ends left or right as needed. I didn't understand the "jump over" bit. If it's on the timeline on the top track it will be seen in the final render. If a clip is below another clip on a different track it will not be seen unless you do the necessary things to make it visible.

Is this what you meant.

Thanks for trying MidnightBlue,
    Not easy to explain, not knowing the Studio prog too well.
    Yr explanation:- I understand dragging each end and the split,S described - the snag is that that point is defined, whereas I'd like to do a "trial" hence the notion of the inverse of the Loop facility.
    I guess it can't be done, or you'd know it..?

I know of no way to do an inverse of the Loop facility. What problem are you trying to solve. Perhaps there is another solution. If you just want to do a trial render without a particular section you could delete that section and render the video then click on undo and the section will come back.

Blog Entries

Midnight is right. I make extensive use of "Undo" and "Redo" commands to try out different versions.
    If I'm about to make a major change which I may want to undo, I always save a copy of the project first, with a different name. Remember a saved project file (a .veg file in Vegas Pro or .vf file in Movie Studio) takes up very little hard disk space - you are not saving the video, only the list of edits.
    Tim

Thanks guys, you are right enough - I read the whole .pdf and it's not possible in Studio. My idea of an "unloop" (my word), would mean you can do a quick preview to see if the artistic-sense remains.
    Making a definite Split is quite a challenge, as it might be rather too close to something that later appears important.

Maybe as I gain experience, I'll have a better ability to wield the cutting knife.
    I do understand the relatively small file-size of "Projects" - that does make it easier to try different versions.

EDIT:
    Thanks for suggestions, it's helped.
    I have tried cutting 1 whole minute by searching the timeline for lengthy unedited pieces... - then looking for other bits seems so much easier; altogether I've cut quite a few and lost nearly a fifth . . . makes it much "snappier" - which is what everyone wants, really.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-04-2011 at 04:20 PM.