Thread: Looking for feedback on video of an abandoned place

Default Looking for feedback on video of an abandoned place

Hey guys,

I'm just looking for a bit of feeback / constructive criticism on a video I've done, would really appreciate some feedback.

Polphail Village 2011 HD - Urbex Derelict Explore Abandoned Scotland - YouTube

Blog Entries

Great look, great music = great atmosphere.
    I suppose my problem with it is it doesn't go anywhere. It gets its message across in a few seconds and doesn't really justify more than a minute and a half, tops.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Great look, great music = great atmosphere.
    I suppose my problem with it is it doesn't go anywhere. It gets its message across in a few seconds and doesn't really justify more than a minute and a half, tops.
    Thanks for the feedback Tim really appreciate it. I understand what you're saying in terms of length although some of my viewers on YouTube want the videos to be longer which I find strange. I think i'll stick to roughly the 5 minute mark for the videos just now.

You managed to capture some fascinating and haunting images of the derelict village. I agree that it was a bit over long but I would say 3 mins is ok if you either just use your best shots or give it a narrative in some way. You could even try a narration explaining what happened to the village, why it became the way it has etc.

As it is now it's still a well shot piece.

5. Default

agree with all above. too long for me. nice shots though.
    maybe would benefit from clips of how it used to be with people and cars etc - not sure where you get those from...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I would say 3 mins is ok if you either just use your best shots or give it a narrative in some way.
    Yes indeed, with some sort of storyline, the excellent images could happily keep us entertained for longer than my suggested 90 secs.
    Tim

I thought your shots were beautiful. Great composition throughout. It's something I can see playing on "sunrise earth" were they only show captivating images of specific countries for about 45 minutes early in the am on Sunday mornings. For an internet video it's a bit lengthy. But you are clearly talented.

I'm really interested in urbex myself, I love abandoned and derelict places. That said the transition for me from normally looking at pictures of this sort of thing, into video, didn't grab me. I skipped through a lot, even though the shots were beautiful, as there wasn't a 'point' to it my brain didn't want to sit there and watch it all.

Technically like I say, some really great shots, pans and movement gives you a real sense of the place.

I really want to go airsofting there!

vey nice..... what exactly is/was that place ?

You got me, took me back to my youth where I used to have an 'odd' feeling about derelict buildings and complex...I think it comes from my father being in the armed services and we were always expecting war for some explainable reason. Liked it,...no sorry, loved it. Very nice composed shots and you captured the abandoned place nicely. I particulary liked the line of keys all corroded,... the lend one was swinging... very good. The punch out name strips I never know they would weather so well though.. Yeah cool,... I read your comments about using the glide track so that answered a question too. I loved the depth of field composition too .. Now watching your other productions