Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solid state hard drive

Default solid state hard drive

any great advantage to a SSD for your OS and Programs?

price has come down quite a bit recently.

That price shift has pushed me into purchasing one for my new system. They are the way forward and are here to stay, Just don't buy a cheap SSD as you will find that the longevity of the device and the performance may be worse than a regular HDD 7200rpm sata.

I read somewhere that cheap SSD'd don't perform well with media files in use with NLE's. I can't remember the technical reasoning behind this that makes the difference between them and the more expensive SSD's. It's probably more related to using them as scratch/storage discs but it's probably worth pointing out.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I read somewhere that cheap SSD'd don't perform well with media files in use with NLE's. I can't remember the technical reasoning behind this that makes the difference between them and the more expensive SSD's. It's probably more related to using them as scratch/storage discs but it's probably worth pointing out.

David.
    i intend using 1 x 64GB for apps and os only.

The only drawback is the small size is a limiting factor to the number of programs you can load on them. You sometimes may have to load things onto other drives or not just install using all the defaults which is fine if you have more than a couple of brain cell but if your not comfortable with computers this may be an issue. I found the speed of program opening is fab but can't say if it helps with rendering times etc. as I don't have a like for like comparison.

I would recommend a SSD for your system/program drive. I don't know if you have to make sure your mother board etc. can get the best out of it as I'm not an expert. BUT if you are buying a new system I'm sure that won't be an issue.

The SSD may provide a data transfer rate of 3GB/ps or 6GB/ps if your MOBO can handle that sata connection then it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    The only drawback is the small size is a limiting factor to the number of programs you can load on them. .
    can only be a good thing in my case ....... it'll ensure i do the PC house work on a regular basis and not hoard unnecessary crap on it

Ha Ha. Good point.

I think its too early for SSD with low storage as someone mentioned earlier. SATA WD Black series HDD do the job perfectly and have 6GB/s transfer.

An SSD will make a big difference, Reduces the loading time of programs drastically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast