Thread: Which computer monitor should I buy?

Default Which computer monitor should I buy?

Hi

I am new to video editing but I am an audio professional for at least 10 years. Recently I've decided to create a video editing suite mainly for adverts. Here in Greece budgets are small and the production companies are trying to create adverts as cheap as possible in order to keep up with the competition. I believe that there is some room in the market for an inexpensive editing facility that does the job.

I am looking to buy two relatively inexpensive computer monitors with efficient specs in order for a client with his own editor to be able to work.

I am thinking of 2 23" Dell U2311H monitors. I have done a thorough research, bearing in mind my inexperience in the field, and I think that they will do the job. The sales person from a respectable shop told me that editors prefer 24" but I am not convinced since Dell's 2410 is double the money.

I mainly going to be working in HD. I know that the specs are just not good enough for broadcast colors thats why I will only have the suite just for editing. Although with the budgets around the requirements seem to drop.

Please, advise me if this is a good move or should I be looking for something else? Does the Dell 24" make such a dramatic difference that this will have an effect to my clientele or in the beginning of this operation I am doing the right move?

Thank you

Costis

An inch of extra size won't mean jack to a "professional editor" your sales man in the shop was thinking of his Christmas bonus I think!

Personally, setups could be

27Inch large with a much smaller one beside it.
    2x 24inchers or 23"

For my needs, I'm investing in a 27" for timeline ect and an expensive small one to give me good colour accuracy when that is when I need to perform that work and when not colour correcting it can be a bin window.

Weigh up which would be more appealing, to customers and you, then go from there!

For your consideration...

I just bought this, a 24" Asus, it was so cheap, it is LCD. I am very happy with the value, but know nothing about how 'professional' it may be, but reviews were good and it has a one touch button that gives 5-6 different contrast/brightness settings (theatre mode/game mode etc) which I find very useful for testing. I use this to set brightness low during long editing hours to save my eyes, then flick it over when reviewing a film. I paid about $220 (Australian) through e-bay, brand new boxed.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Display- ASUS VE248H
    Last edited by Stripe; 09-30-2011 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks for the advice both of you.

@ Bpotter908: Thanks for the insight. Which small monitor for color accuracy have you got?
    @Stripe: I am very keen on Dell U2311. I can get them for 170Eur each ($230 Aust). The brightness on this one is too high but bringing it down to 75% should do the job.

Just in regard to the 24 vs 23" monitor. The 24" ultrasharp monitor is far superior in terms of its specification to that of the 23" hence the price difference. The price difference does not reflect the size. My house mate has the 24" monitor which is a fantastic piece of kit and is pretty much the entry level screen for professional design etc. For video editing however the 23" model seems more than sufficient, I am actually looking at switching to one myself as my 23" Apple screen is on its way out :(

I mentioned it already that the U2410 is by far better monitor than U2311 but as you say will do the job efficiently. I'm going to order them then. Its a relief. It has been over two weeks I have been looking for the monitors.

Can't find U2311, but U2312 is 8ms response time? My Asus is 2ms. I remember people saying that to get 2ms was amazing for this price range.

I also meant LED, not LCD

This one is IPS (eIPS that makes IPS panels cheaper). Have a read through here and let me know what you think TFT Central

Wow, that is a very intense review - too much for my tiny brain

I went straight to the summery and picked out these comments...

1. and with input lag being very low you could easily use this screen for gaming.

2. response time and input lag are both very good, making this a good potential gaming screen

3. As long as you don't mind a slightly smaller screen (23" as opposed to 24") and a 16:9 aspect ratio

I am NO EXPERT at any of this, all I can say is that the reviews on my Asus said this was the gaming machine of choice due to it's response times. Whereas this review is saying it maybe ok? I don't even know if it is correct to correlate gaming with video production, but I imagine it would be similar - someone correct me if I am wrong.

I am not disrespecting your choice, I am no expert.

However I would strongly advise going 24" over 23". 24" is two screens side by side, 23" is running a marathon and falling over before the finish line?
    Last edited by Stripe; 09-30-2011 at 11:08 AM.