Thread: First project in the can - now two more I need help with

1. Default First project in the can - now two more I need help with

So I've just closed off my first paid freelance project. I learned a huge amount and I'm a much better videographer for the experience. Up front, I was straight with the client, letting them know that I was pretty new to it, that I wasn't a full-time professional and that I couldn't promise them an award-winning result. What I did promise was the best quality job I could do and a very reasonable hourly rate. They got about a dozen promotional videos of 60-90 sec for their website, I got a reasonable sum for the job and a massive amount of real-world experience.

I've got two more assignments lined up which I'd like some advice about.

The first job is to document a charity cycle event. It's half a dozen blokes riding from Grimsby to Liverpool on Raleigh Choppers dressed as Santas. They're stopping at various children's hospitals to promote their charity which provides bikes to kids with cancer.

My intention is to do a bit of Voxpop, mixed with cycling footage shot from a follow car. Then I'll speak to the nurses and doctors in the hospitals and get some footage of Christmas gifts being given out and whatnot. Not a difficult one really. My question is about sound. Up to now I have used a Rode lavalier on my XM2 which has worked great. The problem is, it's a bit 'intimate' - ideal for interviewing one subject alone. What I'll need for the next project is the ability to interview a handful of people talking amongst themselves. Don't fancy the on camera mic, so what's the solution? Boom with a shotgun? My worry there is that I have to whizz about between speakers.

Second project is a Cage Fighting gym who are keen to break down the myth that the sport is just for meatheads and doormen. They want to get more Joe Public in there, people looking to get fit, women and kids etc. So they want some interview footage with exisiting kids, their mums, average punters etc and also some footage of the classes. They'd also want a monthly video blog with the gym manager. My question about this project is about wide angle shooting. Again, Canon XM2, what's the best option? A wide angle convertor, a new lens? Or should I go for a GO HERO and just use it for cutaways and lay the sound over the top from main cam footage?

Cheers

Luke

Blog Entries

Congrats on your first pucker job!
    Quote Originally Posted by LukePickering View Post
    What I'll need for the next project is the ability to interview a handful of people talking amongst themselves. Don't fancy the on camera mic, so what's the solution? Boom with a shotgun? My worry there is that I have to whizz about between speakers.
    Hmmm. you're going to have to whizz round with the camera to follow who's talking anyway!
    One way is to have an interviewer in among them with a hand-held mic, but this is probably not what you're after.

The people will know what this is for and so it doesn't need to appear as if you've caught them unawares. I think you should take control. Explain that whilst you might want the content to be not too structured there is a risk of losing sound or images if you can't be sure you're covering the whole group. Arrange them around one side of a table or similar and have a couple of mics in a Y formation pointing at them. They can still discuss with each other as well as tell the viewer the story.

Take a look (or rather listen to) at http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...ght=shepperton . This was done quite simply with the girls sitting on a bench and a shotgun mic on a micro stand on the ground about 5 foot from their mouths. I'm sure you'll agree it's not a dreadful sound (and it was outside). The shot was such that if I'd had the right size stand I could have put the mic only about 3 foot away from them. Think how much better you could do with a pair of mics, a 3 foot distance and indoors. Whilst it would be nice to have two or three cameras for different angles I didn't have that luxury. I got the girls to repeat bits and reframed a couple of times to get variety. This worked well, because it also gave the breathing space in which they were able to think of new things to say or better ways of saying things they had already said.

Don't be afraid to move/place your "cast" and boos them around. They will expect you to know what you are doing. Their "favour" is in agreeing to be part of the film. If you tell them where to sit/stand and even what to say, you're actually doing them a favour by not making them work harder than necessary.
    Tim