Thread: Dead MB so upgrade help needed

Default Dead MB so upgrade help needed

Hi all,
    I am using Premiere elements and thinking of moving to CS5.

My computer is a gateway dx4830-05 with:
    i5 750
    HD4650 1g video card
    8gb of 1066 ddr3 ram
    300 watt power supply
    Mother board is dead
    windows 7 home
    wd 7200 sada 1tb capture hdd
    wd 7200 sada 1.5tb system hdd

I need to buy a new board so I need some help. I don't need a screamer of a computer that will be out of date next week. Bin there done that many many years ago. However, I am wanting to increase performance over the original computer specs.

I am thinking of an Asus P7P55D-E LX board
    gts450 1gb card
    450watt power supply which I already have
    win7 pro
    60gb ssd system drive ?
    7200 media hdd
    Is it worth the money to go to an second gen i5 or i7?
    Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers

If I may ask, Are you editing videos for paid work or as a hobby?

Secondly, Do you have a maximum/minimum amount you would like to spend?

Hobby use. Spending is related to value. Couple thee hundred gets me a percentage of improvement. If it's going to cost another 500 to get a little more I'm not interested. I'm interested in real world performance not theoretical and benchmark stats. So, if 300 gets me 5% improvement over what I have I don't want to spend three times that for 8% improvement if you get what I mean. Cheers.

Yes, I agree with you! I saw a monster PC here:

3xs Systemsut...for 10000 How much of that hardware will still be considered top of the line in 2-5 years?

I think for most users, the I5 packs a mighty punch, If your going to consider I7, it would be better to get a quad I5 as you have more horses for your money.
    Personally, 60GB of system storage is not enough, Aim for 128 for SSD if you can.
    Graphics Card won't make a huge difference in editing, so that one is fine.
    450watt power supply = Perhaps check that the PSU is of a solid build quality that will ensure it can produce the right power for a good level of efficiency and performance for the rest of the system- Check here for more! Computer Power Supplies | Hardware Revolution
    win7 pro = Agreed, stay away from the home edition and you don't want Ultimate as it has more bells and whistles that you won't use. Professional is the one to go for!
    System Board looks like it ticks enough boxes, but then again unless someone actually has built a machine with one, We can never say! Try browsing some of the "benchmark" sites for a review on the board.
    RAM = Just like your original system, Don't settle for 4GB, Windows will eat up 3-4GB on it's own, go for 8GB! And if budget will permit, 12GB.
    Last edited by Bpotter908; 09-26-2011 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you! I saw a monster PC here:

3xs Systemsut...for 10000 How much of that hardware will still be considered top of the line in 2-5 years?

I think for most users, the I5 packs a mighty punch, If your going to consider I7, it would be better to get a quad I5 as you have more horses for your money.
    Personally, 60GB of system storage is not enough, Aim for 128 for SSD if you can.
    Graphics Card won't make a huge difference in editing, so that one is fine.
    450watt power supply = Perhaps check that the PSU is of a solid build quality that will ensure it can produce the right power for a good level of efficiency and performance for the rest of the system- Check here for more! Computer Power Supplies | Hardware Revolution
    win7 pro = Agreed, stay away from the home edition and you don't want Ultimate as it has more bells and whistles that you won't use. Professional is the one to go for!
    System Board looks like it ticks enough boxes, but then again unless someone actually has built a machine with one, We can never say! Try browsing some of the "benchmark" sites for a review on the board.
    RAM = Just like your original system, Don't settle for 4GB, Windows will eat up 3-4GB on it's own, go for 8GB! And if budget will permit, 12GB.
    the i5 750 is a quad? don't understand your comment. I also have 8gb of 1066 ram already. thanks for your insight. I will check on the psu and board.

"Is it worth the money to go to an second gen i5 or i7?"
    I was stating that the I5 will be perfectly sufficient, Yes for an extra 200 or so the I7 will be faster, but I'm not too sure you need that.

I may be wrong