Thread: Should I move to Adobe based software (ie Premiere and AE)

1. Default Should I move to Adobe based software (ie Premiere and AE)

I am an amateur video editor and I'd like to do it as a profession in later life, I currently use Sony Vegas 8.0 but I am wondering if it would benefit me more to work with the adobe line of software.

Also I would like to know how to do a timeline as seen in this video at 0:54 til 1:02
    Who is Adrian Lamo? - YouTube

thanks
    Cyantist

It depends on what you want to do really. Adobe is very good at integrating with other Adobe software such as After Effects and Photoshop so it's a nice overall package. That timeline was done in some kind of 2d compositing software, perhaps Adobe After Effects. They created a kind of synthetic 3d space by using two different shapes, and then just created some movement using keyframes.

Hmm...I often like to remind myself of the following before I make a big spend

- If I am going to do this professionally, will I be working for myself, or for a company?
    If you are going to work for yourself, You'll need to look into purchasing your own kit BUT on the other hand, if your planning to work for companies who have the capacity to always buy the hardware and the software tools you need, why bother?
    - If you spend the money, Will you see a return on your investment?
    Just for the editor, You will spend 720.If you buy a production bundle that will cost you 1810 - Now that is not even thinking about IF your computer has the grunt to drive this software well enough! - Are you likely to get PAID work that will see you get your money back and make a profit? If not...I'd stick with Sony Vegas.

I am only now upgrading to a monster computer and software because the demands of work justify the need and I am making enough money from freelance work to get a return on my hardware. Also, There is no real "Industry standard tool" that will make your videos look professional, You can use most editors to achieve that purpose, the skill comes in the hands of the work-man, not in the tools!