Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a Newbie

Default Advice for a Newbie

Hi,

I'm brand new to video editing (since I wouldn't really consider Windows Movie Maker as video editing) but like to think that I'm tech-savvy enough. I'd like to learn how to make animated videos , though obviously to a much simpler extent. What basic software and skills are needed for someone new to this?

Thanks so much!

Mark

I am here for the same reason and instead of making another thread I am going to wait for someone to show us the light so to speak.

thank you,

George.

If you read the credits below the video:

Music by: J. Ralph
    Directed by: Harry R. Calbom & The Academy

Writers: Harry R. Calbom, Caroline Mauldin, Jeremy Weinstein, Julie McCarthy
    Lead Designer: Kaleb Coleman
    2D Design / Animation: Kaleb Coleman, Mike Holm, Nick Simmons, Corey Dawson Hall
    3D Animation: David Holm
    Storyboards: Kaleb Coleman, Corey Dawson Hall, Lindsay Daniels
    Producer: Harry R. Calbom

That is quite a few names to produce a 3 minute animated video of that standard.

The next thing I will tell you is that anything in this world can be achieved, You could design space rockets for NASA or you could learn how to be a gourmet chef.

What is true about the above 2 professions is the same with 3D animation and video production, You need to tick the following boxes.

- I click with this
    Is this something that you wake up in the morning and think "Hey, I'm going to be doing this today" If your happy doing something, go with that! And if you can turn it into a career even better!

- I am willing to invest the time/money to achieve this goal.
    Are you willing? You will be required to invest a great deal of time into this, Compare it to learning how to play a musical instrument, First you have to learn what each key on the piano is for, What note they strike when you play them, Then you have to learn about tempo, timings, then move onto playing multiple notes at the same time ( Chords ) then eventually playing it to an entire song. To give you an idea of how much time you would have to invest:

" I can tell you that if you already know theory (like chords) and read music, if you are willing to practice two hours a day every day, since you are an adult, you could be potentially very good in a year"

Then there is the cost of buying the piano itself, A good Keyboard/Piano costs at least 1000.

Now we return to you guys, If you have read the above and think "Yeah, I want to practice that much I want to become that good" then great but if you are

"Well, I was hoping to just find some software that would work for me with little learning curve"
    There are packages that exist out there but they will always be sub-standard compared to what a 3D artist can achieve.

So which box do you guys fit into?

Well I gave up on that video because it was completely boring and jerky as heck. Ok I was running some other stuff on my computer, but maybe those 15 people should have realised that the video they were presenting did not need to be full HD for the content it held.

Ultimately guys, if you have ideas and COMMON SENSE you can outwit these idiots anyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Well I gave up on that video because it was completely boring and jerky as heck. Ok I was running some other stuff on my computer, but maybe those 15 people should have realised that the video they were presenting did not need to be full HD for the content it held.

Ultimately guys, if you have ideas and COMMON SENSE you can outwit these idiots anyday!
    The video played just fine and was smooth as butter.
    The problem lies in your system I think.

And unless you can do an equal job or better, Calling them "idiots" and saying that simple ideas and common sense will produce a better result is complete nonsense.
    If you can do better, Please show it.

Excuse me - I think I made it plain that I was aware that my system was dragging.

The point I was making is that anyone who makes an animated powerpoint slideshow in full HD has their head up their a** - it is unnecassary and has no regard for the audience. You are telling me this is clever? They are clever enough to have power PC's and think everyone else is the same = NOT VERY CLEVER!

About as clever as running down new filmakers that have done nothing more than politely ask for advice?

As for your 'show it' comment - I'm afraid I don't compete, I have no reason to, and I don't expect that from this forum, TYVM.
    Last edited by Stripe; 09-30-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Animated Power Point show?...Where did you get that idea from?
    Not even Keynote for Mac is capable of creating that video...certainly not without a huge amount of work.

+ On Vimeo you can disable Full HD.
    + If I make a movie for Blu-Ray, does that make me an idiot? Or am I catering to the needs of my client? Then when someone tries to play it in their DVD player cannot should I be an idiot because your hardware cannot cope with the media?

And as for running down new film makers, Would you mind pointing out how I have done so?

My intention by writing my original post here was to show them that to achieve what they wanted to achieve would require X-Y-Z of effort, expense and time.

I have done no less with the regulars on here or other new members, I present to them some of the pit-falls that they will run into and encourage them to think about "What do you want to do"

I can spend 100K on a cluster of systems for 3D editing.
    Or I can spend 600 on a dual core system.

They have not specified if they would like to pursue this as a hobby, a commercial enterprise or even what their budget is.

"I'm brand new to video editing (since I wouldn't really consider Windows Movie Maker as video editing) but like to think that I'm tech-savvy enough. I'd like to learn how to make animated videos , though obviously to a much simpler extent. What basic software and skills are needed for someone new to this?"

Tells me that the OP might be lacking some back-ground information and that he may become frustrated when he discovers this information after spending on a system. I have made enough mistakes in doing this to know that if there was someone who could suggest the obvious "Traps" it would have saved me much time and expense.

And as for "beating me" I find that a laughable idea.

There are users on this forum who could take a look at my work and experience and laugh their heads off, Then produce a stunning piece of work that makes mine look like a dodgy handicam bloggers video.
    However these users are willing to not simply tear down any effort I make, But even to help me learn, grow and improve despite knowing that one day I might become competition for them.

My intention with my original post was to help these 2 new members discern where they want to sit in the video making world, Either at Hollywood or Wedding shoots. My comments are freely given and can be freely ignored, Same way that another member can disagree with what I say and suggest that they do something else.

But to make a short paragraph statement completely trashing the efforts of what to me looks like a small but dedicated production team who HAVE made a good bit of animated content and to call them idiots...is completely inappropriate, If you can give specifics on why their production is bad, Please do share them.

Ok I go look again, nothing running on my PC this time, jerky motion, messed up animation, so I turn HD off, it goes back to the start, can't fast forward to where I was, jerky again, I try the HD button again, this time HD goes off, back to the start again, can't find fast forward, can't jump along the timeline, OMG yawn, 5th time through I finaly see it in all its' glory - I'm trying really hard to view this, it's still crap.

I say this is badly thought out. I don't care if it's technicaly superb, it's unwatchable, and most people would say 'stuff this' after one attempt to view it.

To me this equals FAIL.

Why don't you explain to me why this needs to be in HD? Why run the risk of people switching it off? It could be 240k and work 100% on any system with no degredation. I see this all the time on youtube with news programs, there are two people sitting in chairs talking for 20 minutes and all you get is stop, pause, jerk, load, wait, go - it's two people talking, it doesn't need to be HD, I know where they are sitting, I just want to hear them talk!

Target your product at the market, being fancy for fancies sake = less people viewing your product = a lot of wasted time and effort = idiot.

What you are blaming are the following:

- Vimeo as a video hosting service
    - Your broadband connection

Why are you blaming the creators of the media for a poor connection service offered by youtube and Vimeo? And you can always turn the HD off to improve your bandwidth.

Also, you are watching that video for free, The target for the video may have been for 10ft projection system and film festivals and you have the benefit of watching their work for FREE. No one is forcing you to watch it and most people can watch HD videos just fine on Vimeo, So their target market is ok actually.

And as for being 240K you really are talking rubbish.
    Not a single camera on this earth can record above a 50K resolution, Where did you get 240?!?
    You seem to be mis-informed on your terminologies
    Last edited by Bpotter908; 09-30-2011 at 04:27 PM.

And you are obviously brilliant and not to be questioned, especialy by newcomers.

Sorry, I meant '240p' whatever that is.

I will upgrade my PC and also inform the other 37 million people with 'ordinary' PC's and miserable 512k bandwidth that the reason they can't watch technically brilliant stuff is because they are the actual idiots, not the film makers.

Meanwhile I shall make my products 360p and take a risk by offering a link to HD if required, but that's just my stupid common sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast