Thread: Live video capture

Default Live video capture

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted, but I have a hardware question. I'm seeking recommendations for live video capture.

The Problem:
    My brother wants to record a video podcast with myself. He will dial in (radio broadcast term) via Skype. Audio is feed through an outboard audio mixer and processors (I work in radio among other things).

I have an Edirol LVS-400 video mixer which is SD and very nice. I plan to feed a video cam for myself into that, and hope to run a video feed from the Skype computer into one channel, and another computer feed for video playback, if needed during the show.

I would like to then record the live mix into the computer for later editing.

I think that explains it all. So my question is, what do I need hardware/software to achieve this?

Many thanks
    Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
    twitter.com/mattauckland

Depending on your computer, you could get an internal video capture card so you can take the output feed from the Edirol straight to that.

This device from a company called "Black Magic" costs $150 so I guess it will be around the 90 in the UK
    http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/videorecorder/

O
    r..you could buy this device for less than 10 off amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyCAP-Video-Audio-Capture-Card/dp/B0011N9QNC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1316833538&sr=8-6

T
    he pitfall with the cheaper capture devices, is most of them insist you use their software, what you want is an external card that acts as a "camera" input that can be used and seen by most programs. So you'll have to tread carefully!

I think Black Magic is the way to go. I was looking at the DeckLink range as a possible solution.

Just leaves solving the computer output solution, so I can run Skype from the PC to the video mixer.
    Matt

"Given that God is infinite, and that the universe is also infinite... would you like a toasted teacake?"

about.me/mattauckland
    twitter.com/mattauckland