Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody looking for a new angle on wedding video

1. Default Anybody looking for a new angle on wedding video

tune in to Dragons Den next week. There is a 'Shoot it Yourself' video company looking for investment to grow their business. This could be an indicator of where the business is heading.

2. Default

Thanks for the heads up, I like that show a lot.

Wonder if you could apply the 'shoot it yourself' business model to photography, or wedding dress, or cake....

You can't...

Your expecting a person with no experince or skill to do the same job that an industry standard professional has been doing for years. Whether that's making a stunning cake or an amazing video.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    You can't...

Your expecting a person with no experince or skill to do the same job that an industry standard professional has been doing for years. Whether that's making a stunning cake or an amazing video.
    Not me, I'm not a part of it.

I don't think that they offer or suggest they will give that sort or result, but they do seem to have a successful business in an area of the market that could be increasing. I get quite a number of enquiries that are looking for a low cost, no frills video. I don't offer that but I can see that someone who does could hoover up those enquirers. I know that those looking for a professional result would not be interested but you only have to look at what people put on their facebook site and so on to realise that there are many to whom professional standards are not a requirement, they aren't bother so much about quality as they are content.

The whole market has shifted during the many years I've been covering weddings. When I started the full-cover documentary was all that anyone expected, now there is a diverse market with cinema style production values at one end and 'shoot it on an i-phone' at the other.

There are plenty of companies where you can "rent a camcorder" I don't think this is anything paticularly new or ground breaking to be honest...Someone has just decided to wrap it up in a new package, but the bottom line, you still are renting a cam-corder.

7. Default

But isn't that what a lot of marketing is about, putting an old (or someone else's) idea into a new a wrapping, or putting a different spin on it. I've been around wedding business too long to dismiss other ways of doing it; I never though that DSLRs would catch on never mind capture so much of the market.

The company that's on the programme has been around a few years now so something must be going right for them. I'm not giving a link as I'm not here to promote them or discuss their approach, they'll get enough of that on the DD programme.

I think that sometimes we can get so absorbed in what we do and our way of doing it, reinforced by favourable comments and recommendations, that we can loose sight of the fact that there are others out there doing it their way, often quite successfully. I remember seeing the early 'cinematic' videos and discussing them with other videographers and concluding that that is not what people want for a wedding video, they want to see the whole day; now there are many making only these short-form productions and selling them for double or more the price of a full length DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomTom View Post
    The company that's on the programme has been around a few years now so something must be going right for them.
    If your an avid dragons den watcher, you'll see many of these companeis that have been "Running" for 2-5 years and mostly the following presents itself.

- The owner is losing money but keeps pouring in money hoping it will turn to profit
    - The profit rate is JUST enough to pay the bills and keep the company spinning but not enough to expand.

I've seen some fantastic start-up companies and most of them had no outside investor, they simply began providing a serivce, made money, invested that back in, traded better than they did and repeat.

So whilst I am not dismissing the idea that this company is doing well for themselves or that there is a call for such a serivce it will be short lived, as you say, you either pay for pro, or just use an Iphone and most people own an Iphone or some kind of camcorder to just "Film a video"

9. Default

My illustration of 'Pro' and iPhone are either ends of a spectrum of approaches, it's not just either or.
    My intention was really just to draw attention to the programme as it is a wedding related company and I thought that if may be of some interest to members of this forum. I'm not an advocate for them or their business model so I'm surprised that there is such a cynical reaction and judgemental rejection of the service before anyone even knows what they are proposing. Almost as if there's a will for them to fail because it's not the standard way of doing things.
    Last edited by ThomTom; 09-21-2011 at 06:20 PM.

Blog Entries

As i understand, the concept involves providing cameras, advice, editing and final production. The key point is that the guests film the wedding. Personally, i think it's a great model.

Many years ago i offered a service to edit guests wedding footage, and i still regularly edit my mates videos. These videos always provide a greater sense of fun. So although the price is cheaper, the principle value add is the greater intimacy

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast