Thread: Customer claims 'fuzzy line' on picture??

Default Customer claims 'fuzzy line' on picture??

Five weeks after delivering a wedding DVD, a customer emailed yesterday to say there is a fuzzy line across the picture. This has confused me a bit. I check and double check DVDs for customers on two different makes of DVD Player. Occasionally DVDs will not be compatible with certain DVD players, but I've never heard of a fuzzy line before.

I read a comment on Facebook that the customer was really happy with the wedding DVD - question is, if there is a fuzzy line on the picture, why wait five weeks to tell your videographer. Could it be scratched? They claim they've tried it on 3 different DVD players and fuzzy line there each time.

If replied asking the couple to bring the DVD to me and we can try it in my machines. I can also have a close look at the disc to see if it's been damaged.

Any advice, suggestions as to what is causing the fuzzy line and how I should deal with the situation?

Thanks!!

Never heard of this before either. A fuzzy line may probably not come from the DVD it could be the connection from DVD player to TV. Ask them to play other DVDs and see if the result is the same.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Never heard of the fuzzy line, but dealing with the situation is simple.
    You suggest that they are otherwise happy so there's absolutely no reason not to explain you checked the DVD on different players before you sent it out, apologise profusely, and replace the DVD by return when they send you the faulty one. You might also ask them whether the DVD had always had this fault or it had started (and if so when/under what circumstances did it start)

If it looks like they have damaged the DVD, still replace it and politely suggest you found marks on it (or whatever) and perhaps it had been damaged - without apportioning any blame or whatsoever.

This will make it clear that you are on the case.

Getting them to bring it to you themselves is perfect. It'll give you a chance to gague their reactions to your questions. I'd suggest you have a replacement ready to give them, rather than let them wait while you burn a copy. You don't want then to see it only takes minutes to burn a copy - they might start thinking copies are only worth a couple of quid each.
    Tim

Well, I emailed the customer saying:

I'm not sure what the fuzzy line is;
    Have you tried it on different TVs as well as DVD players (in case of some connection issue);
    Was it like that when you first watched it five weeks ago;
    Come round and we'll have a look at the DVD in my DVD player to see what we can do.

Customer just replied and didn't answer any of my questions. Said she hoped I could sort it out for her but after my reply she'll just leave it and get someone else to look into it!

Very strange response. I checked my email and she seems to have completely taken it the wrong way. All I did was ask some questions and invited her round to get it sorted out. Now I'm like the worst videographer on the planet!!

Speechless.

Hmmm It would seen from her reply that you've just called her bluff. Maybe there wasn't a fault and she just hoped there'd be some free DVDs coming their way.
    Have it rectified by others? (not) is the clue!

I'd just reply with "love to sort this out for you and me both and replace it once I've seen the problem".
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

6. Default

We have just had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Which if we had not also have it happen last year we would have fallen for it too. Our customer from last year discribed some bizzar fault so we asked for them to send back the disk. Which was then "lost in the post" so we though ok we'll send one anyway. Then same again this year, the "faulty" disk never showed up. Except this time we insisteted that we needed the "fauly" disk. The clients just melted away. Highly suspicious I thought.

wedding videographer filming modern wedding video london