Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help figuring out if something is possible and with what software

Default need help figuring out if something is possible and with what software

Here's my problem. I want to record video of a computer display/program in a window. I have a different program that slows down the video/program I want to record, but not the sound aspect during recording.(I have to slow down the video while recording-- it's not optional) Later on, my intention is to speed up the video back to "normal" speed.

The problem is the sound will be distorted because I can't slow it down during recording.

So let's say the video is a guy walking up for 5 seconds forward and then saying "hello, there".

If i record this in slow motion, where it takes him ten seconds to start talking but the sound of his voice is unaltered, and then speed it back up so it takes 5 seconds to walk up, his voice will be chipmunk gbberish as well as his footsteps.

I'm wondering if there some sort of trick to solve my problem with any given software. I'm assuming I could get it to work if I record the video with one program and the sound with a different program and the different program has some way to record the sound in "slow motion". So later on when I put them together and speed them up the sound is in synch with the video.

I don't care what programs I need to do this. just as long as it will work. There may be some other solution or whatever trick to get this to work right. Or maybe there is a video capture program that can slow down the sound while recording and keep video recording in "real time". I doubt a video recorder will do this as it must be a recorder that can record video acceleration and such in a windows window.
    Last edited by vendura; 09-15-2011 at 09:05 PM.

If it's a case of record the video at 50% speed then playback at normal speed why do you need to record it as a slow speed ? Answering this might help us to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    If it's a case of record the video at 50% speed then playback at normal speed why do you need to record it as a slow speed ? Answering this might help us to help you.
    i need to record it at a slow speed because it has very high graphical video, and my computer simply cannot keep up woth both recording it at high quality and playing it. So if I turn the speed down, my processor/hard drive/gfx card etc. will keep up with it, allowing to me record a fluid video with much higher settings than I normally would be able to.

So you want to record a computer game ? The only way I know how you could do this is to record the image at half speed. Then run the game again at full speed with lower graphics resolution and record the audio. The hard part will be matching them up if you didn't duplicate the game play but can be done with a bit of effort. However if the audio of the game isn't slowed down ie come out at normal speed you can just use that. When you bring it into Sony Vegas, right click the audio track and select Time stretch/ pitch shift method: elastique

Do not tick the lock to stretch box. Then double the speed of the video track this should speed up the sound but keep the same pitch.

Did you understand any of that ?
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 09-16-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    So you want to record a computer game ? The only way I know how you could do this is to record the image at half speed. Then run the game again at full speed with lower graphics resolution and record the audio. The hard part will be matching them up if you didn't duplicate the game play but can be done with a bit of effort.
    That's definitely not going to work. Heh. I'd need to live to 200 years old to make any decently long video like that.

If you have Sony Vegas see my edited post.

Oh i see your edited post now. Are you pretty sure that will work -- have you tried something like it before?? Anyway I think I know someone who has that and I cna at least send him some small segments and try to do what you suggested. If it works I'll get it for sure.

I tried it on a bit of footage before I posted so I know it worked for me.

How do you double the speed? Cause if you mean by halving the the "original length" in the properities or dragging the audio bubble back to match the new shorter video length, both of those ways chipmunk the sound. Elastique is enabled.

Ok, I assume what you are trying to say is:

Record at slowed speed, say 50% normal speed
    Open the video in vegas
    Change the playback rate from 1 ro 2 in the video portion via properties
    change the audio settings from properties to elastique
    Change the the playback length of the audio to 50% the original length.

When I do the above the sound is completely removed from the playback.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast