Thread: Editing software recommendations

Default Editing software recommendations

I wasn't sure where to post this, but as I am having problems with software, hopefully it will be OK here.

Well, I am currently using PowerDirector v8 - it's (for me) relatively easy to use and has some nice(?) features. But it is so incredibly unstable, to the point where it's not really usable. From crashes (either loading projects or in general use) to video and images being "lost" from the timeline. I really do not want to upgrade to v9 as I am unconvinced they will have ironed out the bugs over adding new features.

My PC is about three years old, and it will struggle with some software playing back preview - especially Adobe's Premiere Elements, so that is out (same with Sony Vegas, IIRC).

I would appreciate any personal recommendations for well featured editing software in the 100/$100 range that I can replace PowerDirector with - I have read comparisons (and the wikipedia page linked to in the sticky post), but my head is spinning at the moment and has me confused. So recommendations based on personal experience would be appreciated.

I'd think about the possible option of simply updating your PC to more advanced settings or just getting a new laptop for your video-editing needs. These days, you can get a really good laptop or PC for pretty cheap. I know that doesnt really answer your question, but at least this way, you can expand your options on the software available to you

Quote Originally Posted by darebatista View Post
    I'd think about the possible option of simply updating your PC to more advanced settings or just getting a new laptop for your video-editing needs. These days, you can get a really good laptop or PC for pretty cheap. I know that doesnt really answer your question, but at least this way, you can expand your options on the software available to you
    Replacing my PC isn't an option for another few months, unless upgrading the graphics card would make much difference. Just to check, I have just tried the trial of Adobe Premiere elements on my laptop, and the playback of the preview is fine on that (without any effects applied). There's not much storage space on the laptop, so I would also have to import files via the network off of my main PC, which may be a bottleneck.

I've got a 5 year core 2 duo system that runs perfectly fine, And the spec is not even that great.
    I can handle Vegas Pro 10 in SD editing work-flow with no problems, it's only when I leap from 720p up to 1920p that my system starts getting funny.
    My machine can also handle a trial of premier CS4, with FX, Transitions and multiple layers of video tracks.

Can I say to you, that if you want to edit footage via a network point, You need to think about setting up a dedicated gigabit switch for data transfer. Anything else will slow your workflow down incredibly.

What I would also suggest to you is:

- Download trials of the software packages you are thinking about and edit with them. The opinions of others matter little if you yourself are not comfortable with using a certain tool, See if you can go through a project with the trial without it crashing on you!
    - On your PC, switch off all the GUI eye-candy when your video editing, you'll save a little bit of processor juice for your system.

I hope this is helpful to you!