Thread: Saying "P" words.

Default Saying "P" words.

I'm recording a voiceover at the moment, and I'm using a logitech usb microphone.
    It doesn't have a wind cover or anything. When I say a word beginning with "P" there is a dull thud in the recording.

Does anyone else ever have this problem, and any tricks to overcome it?

Sure, you cut up a pair of ladies tights and stretch them over an embroidary hoop. When you talk through that before the mic it stops sibulence etc. Or you can buy a pro version for $100, I forget what they are called, but why would I remember? I made mine for $6.50.

I made mine for $6.50
    You paid that much. lol

I used a wire coat hanger & old tights so made mine for $0.00. You could aslo try saying "P" words across the mic rather than into the mic.

'Pop' into Maplin. They do a good range of pop filters from 7 Pop & Wind Shields : Microphones : Music : Maplin Electronics
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

A tip I picked up years ago for quick n dirty VO is :-
    Take a large 18"x18"x18" cardboard box, line it inside and out with carpet underlay, the really thick stuff, also put a layer or two underneath. Cut one end off the box and feed the mic cable through the top of the box, supporting the mic inside the box at the other, closed end, with elastic bands. Clip a pop filter to the front, open end and you'll record a pretty damned good VO.
    No vague household noises to interfere with the clean sound . . . . Simples
    Last edited by Zero; 09-17-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: better explanation . . . maybe :)
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Zero - I like your end "saying..."
    However, in this 18" cube must be very difficult to read the script -
    FWIW My own "quiet room" is underground, about 10' x 6' x 6' high, it's a bit dank but produces very clean VO - the lighting I need to install, will be DC powered LED/halogen....that way I can get out, should the mains fail . . . by virtue of the reserve in a 12v spare battery. The issue of a green-screen background is not considered, but SHOULD BE . . . in any purpose-built studio. Even lighting of this is paramount!

That "P-word Issue - - -
    It's caused by the pressure wave hitting the mic. hence using an anti-pop screen -
    If no-one will see it, you could try a kitchen sieve, clamped of course.
    Failing that the other Posters have suggested enough.... but I think it needs to be rigid, so I'd be less sure about rec. fabric, although if tightly stretched it may have the desired effect - TRY it!

Let us know!
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-22-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Zero - I like your end "saying..."
    However, in this 18" cube must be very difficult to read the script -
    Hmm You don't actually put your head inside the box - Prop the script on top of the box, then speak into the pop screen which is clipped to the front . . . simples