Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apparently- "intense" "trippy" "weird"..demo reel

Default apparently- "intense" "trippy" "weird"..demo reel

I made this demo reel, I think it would be a unique approach to the demo-reel. Industry heads want to give me input on this one? or should I just make a more approachable demo reel.
    What do yalls think of my first demo reel ?

Last edited by thesplashedparietalobe; 09-11-2011 at 03:11 AM.

The link redirected to my own default page instead of your video, your link should be something like h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / watch? v=1kD0YKyUlJE which you copy and paste from the address bar when on your actual youtube video playing page. Or else my computer just has a mind of its' own
    Last edited by Stripe; 09-11-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Link works for me. Maybe youtube was acting up.

I've got 800 and I badly need an editor, I could give it to you based on that...But it depends on what your target customer is.

If you are aiming for the youtube bands who badly want a music video then that might convince them but if you are after serious professional work, they'll go with the demo reel that can tell a consistent story from start to finish AND sends the right message.

I watched up until the guy with the burger and then decided "oh ok, that's all there is to it" 7:30 is far too long if I am watching a show-reel. You need to show me what is special and great about YOU as an editor in the first 30 seconds to 2 minutes. There is no "set" convention for what your demo reel should look like, you just need to make sure that

- You polish it as much as you can, don't let dodgy camera shots in ( out of focus, bad audio, ect. )
    - That what you produce in the demo reel represents what you are offering your clients, so if you do a full HD animated logo that is doing all kinds of amazing things you better be prepared to do the same for prospective clients.
    - Convey the style of editing your offering.

Of course, all of this does not stem from years of experience in producing demo reels so others with greater knowledge than I might correct me on a few points. But I hope you find my comments helpful!

I think it would be a unique approach
    Unique yes but I fear not successful. Unless you are aiming at the school of Andy Warhol.

I absolutely loved your work, if you are aiming to be a music video producer I think you already are one, as shown from 2.50 - 3.50. Plenty of alternative music would fit your style. Also, your music selection was excellent all the way through.

I assume this is a collection of showreels, dependant on client? If otherwise I think a start at 1.50 would have been a 'nicer' first impression. Up until then it was technicaly impressive, but just a bit disturbing in its imagery for a first impression - but that's just my opinion. I also saw the copyright watermark on the wheelchair. And for some reason the last two scenes of the video finished sloppy - work in progress there maybe?

I look forward to more from you
    Last edited by Stripe; 09-12-2011 at 12:25 AM.

It didn't really feel like a demo reel to me and more like an experimental short film which I'm usually not too crazy about but I watched this till the end (which must be a good thing, right?). Reminded me of some of the bizarre links between sketches in Chris Morris's 'Jam.' As a demo reel it's too long in my opinion.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

This is what taking drugs must feel like.....

As has been said, as an experimental short film it may have some merit (it's certainly creative), but as a demo showreel to demonstrate your talent it just didn't work for me at all (not least of which it's way too long for this purpose).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    if you are aiming to be a music video producer I think you already are one, as shown from 2.50 - 3.50.
    Agree. That was by far the best bit of the 5 mins I watched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Up until then it was technicaly impressive
    Disagree My first thought was how sloppy the masking was (eg around the spectacles). If you're going to go to the effort of cutting out parts of an image, it should be done either perfectly or make it look deliberately rough cut.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    Chris Morris's 'Jam.'
    woah, that takes me back ! runs off to You tube .....

I love anything by Morris!
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast