Thread: AVCHD m2ts AVC format problem - looking for alternate editor or converter

Question AVCHD m2ts AVC format problem - looking for alternate editor or converter

Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone or collectively you can help me out.

My Panasonic camera's native format is AVCD 1080i .m2ts files. If analysed with a tool such as 'media info' a few key pieces of info about the files are:

Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video

Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First

I am using Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 to produce videos from my Panasonic shot footage, but when I produce AVC H.264 AVC files from PowerDirector, I get an m2ts file but with a different AVC format. The most significant differences (I think) are:

Format : MPEG-TS
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec

Scan type : MBAFF

You can see while it is still an AVC file, it is an MPEG-TS and not BDAV. Also the scan type has changed from interlaced to MBAFF.

This is basically causing me a problem as when i play these video back on either my Panasonic TV directly or via my Panansic DMP, the quality is not as it should be.

I have tried Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 and when that produces in either blu-ray or AVCHD format the .mts file produced is in the same BDAV Blu-ray AVC format as my native files and works just as I need it to. Sadly Corel VideoStudio X4 is not quite the editing tool I want to use having got used to some of the power of PD9, expecially the quality of the real time preview possible with the Ultra 64 edition.

My now getting rather long question is two fold.

1. Can you please help me identify which alternate consumer end video editors (Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premier Elements etc) produce AVC m2ts video in BDAV/Blu-ray Video format rather than MPEG-TS?

Is it just PD9 with this anomoly or is it a gamble across the baord?

2. As I really do otherwise quite like PD9 (frustrating as the AVC issue may be), can anyone recommend a tool to conver to remux my MPEG-TS AVC file with it's MBAFF scan type to the BDAV/Blu-ray video AVC file (interlaced) that I need?

I have tried (perhaps not with correct settings) using eac3to.exe and tsMuxeR.exe. this does not result well, significantly audio sync problems.

I have tried numerous other tools. I was hopeful of VSO AVCHD until I realised that wanted native AVCHD complete with all the folder and index files etc. I was also then hopeful of multiAVCHD but I get an error from one of the exe's when that runs, I take it is not compatible with W7 64 bit.

Can anyone please help?

thank you

London, England

Sorry to find you've "no reply" - has the problem been resolved by you?
    I came across yr post looking for a blow-by-blow account for burning HD to DVD - I'm sure it's here somewhere.
    .......Used Vegas+Architect as I recall......

Incidently, I thought Pana (PAL) Camcorders used 50p
    Also, I know Vegas is available as a free download 30-days DYOR, so you could check what files it makes and day-to-day working...... only the Pro-version uses the full 64-bits - again DYOR.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-31-2011 at 04:00 PM.

I've not created a post about burning HD to DVD , maybe you are thinking of someone else.

No, no replies or solution yet. I'll have to just try all the trial software I can next time I have the inspiration and time.