Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hobby Aerial videos

Default Hobby Aerial videos

Hello everyone,
    I am an assistant editor in Tennessee in the US and make hobby aerial videos in my free time. I am currently using Avid MC5 at work and for my videos and am interested in improving my editing abilities. I will be posting my aerial videos here and am completely open to constructive criticism. Thanks!

I am new to this forum and just realized this may be in the wrong section... If a mod would like to move this, feel free.
    Last edited by Dylonius; 09-07-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Welcome to the forum Dylonius. I'm not sure exactly what help you want. You've got the gear, you already do editing for a living. The only advice I can give you is make the movies that the intended audience would want to see. While the video you posted is very interesting for a while it is far to long to hold the interest of the general viewer. Think about who you audience is and and reflect that in your editing.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Welcome to the forum Dylonius. I'm not sure exactly what help you want. You've got the gear, you already do editing for a living. The only advice I can give you is make the movies that the intended audience would want to see. While the video you posted is very interesting for a while it is far to long to hold the interest of the general viewer. Think about who you audience is and and reflect that in your editing.

Good luck.
    Thanks Midnight Blue! That seems to be the main feedback that I get, "shorten the videos". I have made a few attempts at shorter videos and have had some success. It can be difficult to make a video that is short enough for the average viewer's attention span and still long enough to include the shots I like. But that is a point that I keep coming back to, I have been thinking for a while about what the next step is. Thanks again!

I suspect some of the reported tiring may be due to the complex (and sometimes very pronounced) changes to the horizontal. Whilst it is good to see some roll when the craft is obviously turning, I would consider doing post production to rotate the view to suit the viewer. Viewers are possibly better prepared to watch 'fly throughs' if their eyes are not trying to accomodate all the changes in the aircraft's axes. Modern viewer are also used to watching Superman do it.

Here is my newest video. Not short, but entertaining.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know how I remove the "Windows Movie Maker" from under my profile pic(or lack thereof)?
    Last edited by Dylonius; 09-21-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylonius View Post
    On an unrelated note, does anyone know how I remove the "Windows Movie Maker" from under my profile pic(or lack thereof)?
    It changes, depending upon the number of posts you make.

I bet you wouldn't have asked the question if it said "Proficient Movie Maker"
    Tim

It changes, depending upon the number of posts you make.

I bet you wouldn't have asked the question if it said "Proficient Movie Maker"
    I still might. I am not sure how Windows Movie Maker describes a forum newbie. I don't mind, I just don't use that software. If it said Proficient Movie Maker I would change it because I work in television, not film.. Just curious, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dylonius View Post
    If it said Proficient Movie Maker I would change it because I work in television, not film..

WMM is just a little bit more video specific than "New members" or "Noob". Clearly this falls flat with some people. Perhaps if it was Final Cut Express, people would feel cooler with it. I dunno. It seemed to take me just two weeks to progress tghrough the ranks to "Old Git"!
    Tim

Here's a couple of suggestions, in order for you to make a better edition and help you with the cut you will need a different angle in the footage, if somehow you had let's say another camera like a GoPro filming you and your maneuvers (i'm imagining a close up of you, the helmet and so on) you could easily switch between one scene and the other, shortening the video without having to make use of fades, dissolves, and so on.

The other suggestion is for you to try and increase the speed on some scenes (like 500% or more) in order to give that adrenaline rush to the viewer (use this when the music gets faster as well and if possible with video sections where the horizontal line is more "regular" or in "diving like" scenes).

Other than that, you're in a good path.

You are using a GO PRO 1080 p camera???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast