Thread: learning the art of video

Default learning the art of video

Hi all

I had a question and wanted some advice, i know allot of people say you cant learn video, you need practice to learn it, but i was wondering if any fellow dvinfo users know of any places that do online video techniques training, i have found a website but was wondering if there was anything else on the market.

For me there are somethings you learn through practice, and there are some things which you learn from professionals which would save you a heck of a time, and make your production more professional.

any advice/input would be nice

Search YouTube for video tutaorials, there are loads.

London, England

BTW there are many tutorials on Sony creative* website - some last as long as 1hr and will cover both Studio and (full Vegas), or you can spin forward - but there are some useful tips on operating the software which means you'll learn some new techniques.

Then, try to recreate the Edited-effect with yr own footage - getting round any lack-of-budget and sun-swept vistas, etc.

* I wonder if other software providers have similar . . . whilst they may be slanted to "their" software, there may be useful stuff for anyone new.

Sorry but youtube can cover just about everything under the sun, As with all things on the internet, Try taking it with a pinch of salt.

Do a youtube search for your model of camera and you are sure to find a tutorial that will show you how to set white balance, Manual Iris, Focus, ect. And they should teach you why these things are important as well!
    I would always avoid a commercial company tutorial like Sony/Adobe/Avid/Apple for teaching you editing as their goal is to get you hooked on that software, Not teach you the rules of editing video content.

London, England

I see where yr coming from Bpotter908, but you have to buy some software, I chose Vegas Studio because Computer Shopper rec it even against the pro-version (And for a tenth the price...). Therefore once you've fixed that you need to get familair with it . . it's bad enough finding the right shots let alone trying to pad them out, cover up mistakes etc.

I suggested this as an alternative to YouTube which has a few very dubious Tutorials, poor sound, focus, lighting Arrgh! I suppose it will show you how to avoid these faults. I found the Sony tutorials (even for Pro version) was useful as many features are common to both versions . . . as you get familiar you will spot those tricks you can't do, although some Presenters do show a "get arround".
    It surprises me that someone with a decent camcorder doesn't know how to get their best-intentions onto the YouTube screen. It's hardly difficult when the venue is under your control, is it?

Personally, I feel someone starting out should not get any "paid" software packages yet.

I'd much rather hand em windows XP movie maker and let them spend all their time learning how to use a camera properly, Learning how to cut together a nice looking story and learning how to shoot a nice story than spend time faffing with the editor
    Software can be distracting, Focus on getting the camera right first!

Focus on getting the camera right first
    Or getting the camera focus right first.

Or getting the lighting right...or the audio...or the white balance....or the iris...or the shutter speed...or the power...or the battery...or the lens cap

GAH! So much to do just to video a talking head on screen!

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post

Learning how to cut together a nice looking story and learning how to shoot a nice story than spend time faffing with the editor
    I'm not sure I agree.

Part of the way in which we learn to cut together a good story is being able to use an editor. If you are not familiar with the software, then faffing around with it once you've shot your footage will actually stand in the way of splicing together a reasonable story - no matter how perfectly it its shot.

To my way of thinking, the key to making an engaging, informative, educational or entertaining film it to have good content (a good subject). Second to that is to have it well structured, which involves both planning and editing. At the bottom of the list come things like well composed shots etc.

I'm not suggesting that camera skills are unimportant, far from it - a film shot properly lit, recorded, by a competent cameraman will look a zillion times better than the same film shot on an iPhone (and of course will edit together far better), but a good concept coupled with good editing with only "adequate" camerawork will always be more watchable than a poor idea, poorly edited film with great camerawork.

And one can get up an running quite quickly without a massive investment in time or money and decide whether or not one likes this as a hobby. If you spend a year learning basic lighting, camera and sound recording skills and only then discover you don't actually like editing or making films, you've wated that time (unless, of course, you're happy o be a jobbing cameraman).

And I really think that WMM is too limiting; from memory you can't even achieve L & J cuts.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not ignoring the creativity or the power of editing, It's just I've got a bug where every time I get asked this question I get asked "what software makes you a professional"
    Whilst WMM is "limiting" it's the first program I hand someone who is learning how to edit, Just to teach them how to tell a story with hard cuts alone, no colour work, no audio, no fancy transitions, just "heres some footage, here is the story, get to it"

Once they have that under their belt, Then we can move onto entry level editors and explain the fancy tools. But I even if the "editor to be" does not want to be a cam-op, they should learn how to hold a camera and how it works so they can bark at their cam ops "Right, here is what I want, give me wide, close, mid, iris opened up nicely man with dog in corner, woman smoking a pipe in the chair, then finish with a shout of the pub outside."
    Last edited by Bpotter908; 10-29-2011 at 09:15 PM.