Thread: 16:9 Matte Box for JVC DV500

1. Default 16:9 Matte Box for JVC DV500

Hi all - Can some of you tell me, I'm looking to mask my DV500 which is only 4:3. I've never used a matte box and was wondering if this will fit:

Anything I need to know about using the mask etc? Or, any other advice full stop, really!!

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Theslingerland; 09-02-2011 at 07:41 AM.

2. Default

You know what - I had a conversation with a much more experienced friend of mine then me and he said the same thing. All of my videos will have a small picture insert in them and the 4:3 of the DV500 will be ideal for that shot, so I'll use it for that. Some small irony that the biggest camera I have will be taking the smallest shot I'll ever make...!!

Thanks for your input on this and thanks for the heads up on the matte box - I'll bear it in mind...!!

You could look into an "Anamorphic Lens", this would allow you to get the most from your sensors and massively reduce the image quality reduction when crop/scaling in post.

4. Default

That would be grand..! I wouldn't know what to look for really and I should think - damned expensive, right?!

I think I'll work the way I have in my mind - I have a two day project in October that will teach me a thing or two about the rig I've built up... I hope! I need to have a think about lighting etc now on top of it all so I think I'll stick to using it at 4:3 for now and use it for the insert shot for the time being...!!