Thread: Another how much to charge thread

Blog Entries

Default Another how much to charge thread

Out of interest how much would you expect to charge for the following:

Spend an evening filming a pro singer teaching a community choir to sing.
    Quick edit (basically cutting the dead time and syncing sound).
    Master to one DVD.

This is not intended as a polished product - purely as a reference for those who couldn't make the rehearsal.

My sister is in the choir and the leader has asked if I'd be interested in doing this and he expects to pay a fee. I don't want to do it for nowt or even a purely nominal fee as it holds little interest for me. Perhaps I should charge a proportion of pro rates for an evening's filming (how much?) but do the editing/mastering for free.

I don't see this as a money making venture, but on the other hand I don't want to give up my time for free - I've got other things I'd rather be doing. On the other hand I'd like to help the guy out.

PM me in confidence if you don;t want to give away your secrets to all and sundry
    Tim

How does 150 for the filming, editing etc. sound and then make it known there are DVDs available at a very reasonable price around 10 each.

Our ususal rate of 45 ph would be great value for projects like this. 4 hours film, 4 hours edit and burn is only 360. For this he would have a repeatable training aid for future events and permission to duplicate to his hearts content. Not gonna break anyone's bank
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Thanks Midnight. Gives me something to work on.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Depends for me entirely on how much you care about looking after them.

If you don't give a hoot I'd be with Zero. Otherwise? I'd be a little over Midnight. Say 200.

Also worth taking into account whether this may lead to more... don't do it too cheap Tim as they'll expect that price every time.

Blog Entries

It's usually better to quote on the high side, you can easily drop the price if they hesitate or you can do a "special one-off reduction this time" but if they answer the quote with "Oh, is that all?" it's difficult to increase the price!

The recession is driving prices down right across the board. Some, who only do video part time, can afford to cut and run on a whim as their livelyhoods don't depend on the continuity of work to pay the bills.
    Many, like myself, have to play all our cards make the best of every deal we get.
    Here's a scenario that may help or interest others . . . or it can just be ignored:-
    I have a quiet few weeks, so when an enquiry came in for a job this next week, I could have quoted for all the bells and whistles and probably lost it, as they'd no doubt have ditched the plan (local council). As it is, the guy I'm dealing with is head honcho of a very large department with fingers in many pies, so I quoted 2 hours film + 2 hours edit @45ph.
    The job is local and will take about an hour. A quick scene set of an exhibition/exhibitors and a couple of interviews (my suggestion, which I'll come to later). This will be a quick edit with logo intro-exterior shots - layout and stands + 30 second interviews with cuts to stand shots overlay - logo end. File to disc for them to upload to their facebook page. Simple one cam stuff and I'll be home before the kettle goes cold.
    The reason I asked for interviews is, I knew that the head honcho would want his on screen input and as he's 'very important' he will push this around . . . a lot.
    So, spratt to catch a mackerel. I've already told HH that this is a token fee as we have done some biggish photo jobs a while ago for him, so he already knows our full video 'bells and whistles' rate.
    I won't rush this through an edit, but will give it added value and punch to impress his peers.
    These 'mates rates' jobs can pay dividends but they need very careful selection as it's quite easy to be a busy fool.

The last mates rates job paid off very well. A client of my client saw the video and shipped us over to Germany @600 per day + flights/hotel/hire car and all meals.
    We have filmed a lot of projects over there over the last couple of years, so I'm always looking out for an 'end result' from the word go.

So . . what I'm trying to say is, charge a fee that will get you the job ( asking him what his budget is, is an obvious question too), let him know that's not your normal rate etc etc, but don't skimp on the edit of the job as you never know where, or to who, it could lead.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Thanks Guy. This is pretty much what i thought and several key words of wisdom are exactly what I apply to my day job, in particular:

(Andy) "don't do it too cheap Tim as they'll expect that price every time"
    (RembrandtRob) "It's usually better to quote on the high side, you can easily drop"

Problem is, this is "just" a hobby for me so I need to concentrate on didtingushing between something like this (which I don't have any real interest in) where I need to think "business" and my hobb films - made for personal pleasure or competition/festivals.

The guy knows I'm a hobbiest and I think he wants to pay a fee because he doesn't want to feel he's taking the piss. My only real long term interest is there might be a film for me in this (ie an amateur film for my own purposes - entering in competitions etc) He is actually quite a character (image a South African cross between Graham Norton and Danny LaRue) and will make a great inteviewee/lead character.

So, whilst I'm not concerened about this particular job, I don't want to burn bridges.

This is a decision I have to make and your input has been invaluable.

Perhaps the most important point, which I hadn't considered, is made in Zeros last post. Dont skimp on the edit because ... thanks for reminding me of that very important point.
    Tim