Thread: Newbie to Vegas

Default Newbie to Vegas

Hi, I'm new here and recently installed Vegas Pro 10.

So I have been using PowerDirector for some time now making simple videos and I decided that I'd like to try out Sony Vegas Pro, as its touted to be a more professional platform. After installing version 10 onto my laptop, I actually found the interface to be a quite more overwhelming than PD9, and the product seems a bit intimidating and less intuitive for me. I was wondering if any of you could point me to a place where they have video tutorials and stuff where I could learn to use the program effectively?

I am using a trial version for now as its quite more expensive than PD9, so I was also wondering if there was actually something specifically that made Vegas Pro better than PD9? I mean what could I do with Vegas that I couldnt do with PD9? Something at least that would justify its price?

Blog Entries

I can't reply to your question as I don't know PD9 at all, but why do you need something more "Pro". If PD9 does what you want and you are happy with it stick with it. As for Vegas, if you are serious about checking it out, but Movie Studio (a version with Architect Studio, if you want to use that to author DVDs). This does an awful lot of what the Pro version does and the beauty is, when you decide you need features in Pro, the cost of teh upgarde plus your initial outlay is significantly less than buying Pro in the first place.
    Here's a comparison between different versions of Vegas. Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Product Comparisons

Personally the things which make Pro worth it for me are velocity envelopes, scopes, bezier masks and scripting.
    Tim

Actually, it was suggested by a friend that I may want to try it out since he was using it, and he said that it was a very good product with lots of features (which the interactive tutorial's overview certainly showed), and that it allegedly allowed fine control of the video editing, and more options.

As for why I need "pro" features, not really sure as most videos I do are mostly for school presentations, or school project films, or a few extracurricular videos like a video summary for our sports fest for example. And I am not in an art school anyway (I'm actually in med school), so I wouldnt really know, and I dont really know exactly what "pro" features does Vegas offer over other consumer based products.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kgomez4487 View Post
    and I dont really know exactly what "pro" features does Vegas offer over other consumer based products.
    Which is why I posted the link to the version comparison page.
    If you are going to invest money in Vegas, I seriously suggest you go with the Movie Studio Platinum. It's basically the same program as Pro so everything you learn there will still be valid if and when you decide you need the additional features of the Pro version and, as mentioned above, you'll sae money!
    Tim

Ok, I'll check that out.

Hi everyone - I am new to Vegas pro and have just spent an extremely frustrating and hunge amount of time trying to create a Lower Third for one of my videos. It seems to be working fine until I start running the video - the Lower third window slowly starts moving up the screen across my interview and the text that is supposed to stay within the background frame is also moving up. I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have been following tutorials and cant seem to find a way of stopping the lower third background and the text from moving up across the video.
    Please HELP!!!!and thank you in advance!

Sounds like you have keyframes. Presumably you're using pa/crop and/or track motion? When the window for those functions opens do you see little diamonds on the timeline? Each one of those will have your lower third at a different position and it will move between those points. Delete them and ensure the sync to cursor (I think that's what it's called - not in front of PC at the moment) button ISN'T checked.

Ian

Smile Thank you!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you a thousand times! It worked and I am happy!!!

Google + youtube is your friend! If you can't find things there, ask specific questions here.

Try the interactive tutorials , icon on the top tool bar