Thread: Sony Vegas on a Pentium 4, making it run smoother?

Default Sony Vegas on a Pentium 4, making it run smoother?

Hi, i just started using Sony Vegas, and i have an older computer (Pentium 4), but i have a good graphics card, lots of ram, and it's the latest p4.

I noticed that while i work on a video in Vegas, its always working in the background, and it makes everything slow. I guess its rendering?
    Anyway, is there something i can disable to make it more workable? maybe disable background rendering? I don't care if the preview video wont be in a good quality at all, since i cant work like this.

Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moonlander View Post
    I noticed that while i work on a video in Vegas, its always working in the background, and it makes everything slow. I guess its rendering?
    Definitely not. One thing which Vegas doesn't do (unlike many other NLEs - and oftend a source of confusion for those coming to Vegas from other NLEs) is background rendering. Are you sure it is Vegas in the background (ie is Task Manager showing it is Vegas? The olnly thing I'm aware of that Vegas does by default, once loaded, is to create audio "peak" files where needed, but that doesn't take long. When you say it "makes everything slow" do you mean everything in Vegas or other apps? It's possible you have very little RAM and Vegas is constantly paging memory to and from hard disks.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Definitely not. One thing which Vegas doesn't do (unlike many other NLEs - and oftend a source of confusion for those coming to Vegas from other NLEs) is background rendering. Are you sure it is Vegas in the background (ie is Task Manager showing it is Vegas? The olnly thing I'm aware of that Vegas does by default, once loaded, is to create audio "peak" files where needed, but that doesn't take long. When you say it "makes everything slow" do you mean everything in Vegas or other apps? It's possible you have very little RAM and Vegas is constantly paging memory to and from hard disks.
    I have 4GB of ram. Ok i found out that when dragging through the timeline, if i grab the head of the line (on the top) it goes slow, but if i grab the line itself it goes smoothly, why is that?

Still, the preview almost doesn't play at all, i just see a still image of the video every 5 seconds or so. How can i make the preview to play? I lowered the preview quality to the lowest draft. not enough..
    Last edited by moonlander; 08-30-2011 at 12:22 PM.