Gave a couple a great deal on a wedding DVD, at a VERY competitive rate (deal was done in the early days of my event videography business). I stayed all night at their wedding, capturing interviews, and was there from about 10am until 1am the following morning.
The bride was quite problematic from the early days (emailing me with a detailed list of songs to play at certain moments, and was texting/phoning months before the wedding). Warning bells.
Worked on it for a month (there was a lot of footage) and held a viewing for them the other night. They wanted some changes made (all creative; this in black and white, that in slow-motion, etc). I agreed to the changes. They wanted to take one of the new copies with them the following day, but I was uneasy about this so made an excuse. Told them I would pay them a visit with the DVDs (all complete with the changes they requested) at a day of their convenience... They said they want me to POST them ANOTHER rough draft because they might want to make MORE changes.
What's especially insulting about this is that on the night I held the screening for them, they tried to badger me down on the price (which is written in the contract they signed months ago). Couldn't believe they were wanting me to go lower on the already competitive price!
I have worked on this DVD for some time now - ABOUT THREE WEEKS, and am backed up. (Have five other weddings I need to be editing!) How do I handle this? I feel uneasy about posting them any of the DVDs without having been paid. **Also, this couple were kind enough to find me another client couple, so want to tread carefully.**
Should I explain to them that the DVDs are ready to be shipped, but if they want to see another rough draft for me to make more changes to, then this will take some time because of my heavy workload at the minute, and there will be a considerable wait and/or cost before I can take another look? I had nothing in my contract about this (I do now, believe me).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.