Thread: Question about the DVD tutorial that comes with Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11

1. Default Question about the DVD tutorial that comes with Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11

I'm a new student who just started trying to learn the craft of Web video editing by practicing with Sony's free trial download. Sony sells 4 different Vegas software packages. The Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum Production Suite 11 is the only one that comes packaged with a DVD tutorial (the DVD tutorial is not included with Sony Pro).

1) Does anyone know the run time of the DVD?

2) Does the DVD tutorial teach new students more techniques than the Show Me How interactive tutorial that comes with all 4 versions of Vegas? Or in other words, does it go beyond basics by teaching the student how to edit videos a little like a pro?

It's hard for a student to learn a software program that has approximately 1200 features and is known for having a distinct lack of training material that is both detailed and comprehensive. The people who publish the Missing Manual series of books should publish one for Sony Vegas. I'm sure I speak for other students when I say thanks in advance.
    Last edited by UVRay; 08-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UVRay View Post
    is known for having a distinct lack of training material that is both detailed and comprehensive.
    For detailed and comprehensive, you won't do better than "Vegas n Editing Workshop" by Douglas Spotted Eagle. It's too daunting for a beginner, but for someone conversant with the basics, it's a real eye opener and for someone who's very familiar it's still a source of inspiation. The biggest problem is that it's very much geared towards Vegas Pro and can therefore lead users of Movie Studio down paths they don't need to travel.

If you think there's a market for beginners classes in Sony Vegas Movie Studio, please give me an idea of what size you think that market might be and what sort of costs you think people might be willing to pay (and what size of classes etc).
    Tim

3. Default YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Some people can learn easily from reading a book while others find watching and listening to someone do it a much faster way to learn. I'm in the latter category. I'll always opt for a training video. I see his book, but I can't find Mr. Eagle's DVD anywhere. Sorry, I have no training in market operations. When trying to determine market status for classroom training why don't you run an ad on Craigslist and see what kind of responce you get. I would not be inclined to answer an ad like that, I would choose to use a video, but that's just me.

Blog Entries

What am I supposed to be, psychic? Nowhere did you specify you wanted to learn from a DVD, only that you wondered what was included in the Sony one.

Irrespective I responded to a very specific point - you mentioned Vegas is known for a distinct lack of training material that is both detailed and comprehensive which is why I quoted that very specific point in my answer which recommended a book which I and many others have found to be both detailed and comprehensive. It may not help you, but it may help others who come to this thread.
    Tim

FWIW I think it depends on your current level of experience.
    As A Newbie, the DVD is somewhat light, being rather too quick; although the content is technically good, it's at a fast pace and you may find you say "Phew, what was that?" The DVD runs about an hour, it covers quite a lot of ground, but I think you need some basic understanding - Sony really needs to supply a "First-Steps" DVD

The "Show me how" work surprisingly well, provided you know what you want. ..therein lies the problem.
    - have you worked through some of these? - Did they help?

Then there's YouTube which is variable - some are poorly presented, although they may have good intentions. Also, I find YouTube difficult to drill down to the material I want....you just have to persevere. Type in "Vegas Studio Introduction" and you'll get some useful stuff, you can pause/rewind while you try it on yr copy of Vegas Studio.

If you have decided this is the software for you, then look at the vendors, for prices. Unfortunately studio 11 is only released, so don't expect discounts. However, if you don't need the 3D features the v10 is surprisingly cheap and the "Production Suite" is actually cheaper on Amazon than the stand-alone Vega. Studios.... it's a matter of searching/luck.

The pro version is much more expensive, but I guess Sony expect users to know all that's in the DVD -

Can you say what level you are now?
    ( You've had a few weeks use I'm guessing ).

Even for a budget-buy, that DVD has value, it's just that you need to understand what is being done, to get the most from it....that's why I suggest the alternatives are better in the first few weeks.
    -and read the Posts here, the replies can be very useful.

BTW, VASST does sell Tutorials, so I guess Sony distributes this as a "taster".

It would be useful if you say what level you are and also the gear you'll be using . . .and some indication of the nature of the films you anticipate.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 09-02-2011 at 01:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UVRay View Post
    ..The people who publish the Missing Manual series of books should publish one for Sony Vegas.
    Tim has kindly given you a link to a book that's even better.