Thread: Sony Vegas 11 and editing for a tv commercial?

Default Sony Vegas 11 and editing for a tv commercial?

Has anyone ever used the consumer editing system for a tv commercial or is it best for professional editing systems?

Quote Originally Posted by PoppyPinner View Post
    Has anyone ever used the consumer editing system for a tv commercial or is it best for professional editing systems?
    Why?

Because I have a chance to edit a commercial and all I have is Vegas 11. To make a commercial they have certain requirements that I am not sure the consumer system meets.

*I'm now on VP10 and usedVP9 for a cable TV spot on the LifeChannel that was aired throughout London Service Points. All the company wanted was the output complied with their format, which VP can do.

Now, and more to what you ask is will your client be happy with the creative output you are delivering on your present Vp Platinum/Studio. And that is up to you and your client and I ain't gonna get involved in that one. But I'm guessing you'd have known that?! And if you hadn't then I'd respectfully invite you to question your present ability to make those judgments with clients. Having said that and ALL of the above, it isn't the quality of the paintbrush that decides whether it can produce a piece of art (whatever that means) it depends solely on how you that wield that same paintbrush.

Having a cogent, urgent, effective idea is what carries the day. And if that idea is produced on an AVID system or Vegas or Microsoft MovieMaker or my iPhone's SPLICE software and doesn't detract from the idea, so be it. However, if there is a need for colour grading; multilayer compositing; titling manipulation and some major sound correction and SFxing then you need the tools to do it, and only YOU can decide on that.

Thanks for the reply. Yes your point is valid on the client but actually I am the client. In truth this is a learning tool for me. I love to edit for fun and to create things for the local tv about local places (without vo ).

This commercial I would like to air in July 2012 which gives me time to decide if I have the tools to do it. As far as creativity, that I don't have a problem with and I have ideas of what to do and say within the 30 seconds.

I dn't have Vegas Pro. I noticed they sell a pro version for a few hundred bucks. When I click on 'render as' under projects in Vegas 11, it doesn't give me a choice to customize it. I have had some people send me messages that I can customize Vegas to any stats. I have emailed Vegas asking why it isn't on there and if it is on there, where?

By the way, do you have any of those tv ads you did on youtube? Just curious, would love to check them out. Is is Vegas pro you hve or just the consumer version? If you happen to check out Vegas 11, would you know if they offer customizing? Its odd that the others would have that and not their latest version.

Thanks.