Thread: How to make the stop and zoom effect?

Default How to make the stop and zoom effect?

Hello everyone,
    I have Sony Vegas 9, and I am quite new to it.
    I was wondering if anyone can please help me to find out how to make this effect. Specifically I mean the following: say the video is going, normally, then I want it to pause, so that there would be just one still shot for a few seconds, and then it would resume again. Secondly, I was wondering if it is also possible to zoom in to a certain area of the still shot, hold it there for a few seconds, then zoom back and resume. This effect was very popular in late 60's and ealry 70's documentaries. Say there is a group of people walking on the street, then the film pauses, and one of the people is being zoomed at. Please don't understand me wrong, it is not an actual zoom of the camera when it was filmed, but it is a zoom at the still image (you can usually see the grain bigger).

Thank you

At the point you want the video to stop split the clip, take a snapshot and incert it at the split point. adjust it's duration. Use the Pan/Crop tool to zoom in.

Thank you! Now I have sucessfully made the snapshot and placed it into the track.
    However I don't think I understnad how to do the zooming in the Pan/Crop window. What I mean is not to simply have the shot zoomed at permanently, but so that there would actually be seen on the final video the actually proces of zooming, how the shot enlarges over a period of time into a certain point of the shot.

Update
    Ah, I found how to do it, no worries!
    Last edited by ringostarr; 08-25-2011 at 07:48 AM.

When needing to do a complex:

STILL(Hold) > ZOOM (Tele)

I wouldn't split and insert a still and create what is 3 separate Events, I'd rather do this on 1 Event by using a Velocity Envelop and apply a Zoom through Pan/Crop. So, 3 results, 1 Event.