Thread: Kopmītnes / The Dorm (Short Film)

Thumbs up Kopmītnes / The Dorm (Short Film)

Schizophrenic short film about a girl staying alone in the university dorm at a weekend. She starts to experience some inexplicable and mysterious phenomenons like time travels. There is also rumors about a guy who fell down the dorm stairs and died a few years ago.

This is my first DSLR short film and I'm new to this stuff. If you have any advice let me know, I'm open to constructive criticism.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3
    Adobe After Effects CS3

Canon EOS 550D
    Tamron 28 - 75mm lens
    Helios 44M lens
    Jupiter 9 lens
    M42 lens to Canon EOS adapter
    Manfrotto 701HDV video head
    Fomei Alumin 400 tripod
    DIY camera slider

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I enjoyed that. Nicely shot and a great soundtrack brought together to make a very atmospheric piece.
    If I had to criticise, it would be the acting - not that it was dreadful, but it could have been better. The lead was fine in the early scene - looking suitably worried and whilst she increased this in some of the later scenes, in others she just looked mildly curious (I suppose that may have been the different instances of her, but it didn't come across that way to me. The support actress wasn't very convincing in the opening scenes.

This is an excelent example on how to create tension with sound and vision. I couldn't realy fault it as I kept being scared as to what ight happen next. I feel the piece was a little rushed and would have benefited from a couple of more mins to give the viewer chance to catch up with the story line and give you chance to get a few extream close ups etc....

AND thank you for not using a pointless shallow depth of field.

Great piece.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! Soon I will start to work on my next project.