Thread: New To Video...Here's what I bought..Advice welcomed

Default New To Video...Here's what I bought..Advice welcomed

So I bought an iMac with Logic and Final Cut Pro X, I also purchased 2 Sony HXR MC2000E's....and a small lighting pack from ebay just to get me started. I already own a few studio quality mics. I'm not going to buy mics a while as I want to get proper ones not cheap ones

What I want to get into is doing promo videos for bands and artists over here in Ireland not pop videos irish music and smaller productions...Obviously need some practice first! Getting the hang of Final Cut quickly enough and spent all day today filming random things and running after the dog at home!

I also need to buy some tripods any advice. I have my first project in a few weeks doing a 25 minute promo for a 4 piece band. I've done it on the basis that I'll spend as much time as possible videoing and editing and they will give me a couple of hundred as a token gesture if they decide to use it...if it's terrible they don't have to use anything. I'm going to track the video from their new album I think this would be the best way to achieve good sound quality and be easier for me taking several takes of them playing. Then do the interviews obviously live...

I'd like some advice for a beginner if anyone has some! Forums are a great source I always think so I'll be here to stay I think! ANy other resource links would be fantastic.

Cheers
    Seán

Blog Entries

My first question is one which I'd advise you to bear in mind with every video: Who is the audience?
    Specifically, in this instance, I'm wondering who is going to watch a 25min promo of a band?
    Tim

The Audience would be general fans of the bands...It's more folk/Irish music so not rock, pop..not anywhere near as flashy. Here are two links to the sort of stuff I'd like to be able to do if I'm a loud post them?

:: The Outside Track :: VIDEO GALLERY

The main and important people watching the 25 minute promo and who it is aimed at is Festival Organizers, Promoters, Agents etc. They INSIST on this sort of stuff...the days of listening to an album are gone they want footage...Here's an example of a terrible video that is actually getting a band work so it shows what I'm up against!:

Blog Entries

Sorry. I was teaching my grandmother to suck eggs. You've clearly identified your target audience - something of a rarity among people "new to video". Fans of the band will watch all 25 mins.

With festival organisers though you need to grap their interest immediately. You've maybe 30 seconds to get their attention then maybe another 2 mins to sell the band.

Whilst a drama wants to start with an attention grabber then build towards a climax, a documentary - especially a promo - needs to have the climax straight away. This was explained to me by a retired journalist friend of mine. Think of a newspaper article. You start with the attention grabbing headline, then one or two paragraphs of the story in brief, followed by all the detail. Organise it the other way round and man (most?) people won't stick it out to the headline.

Your festival organisers need to see the headlines first. So start with (excerpts from) all your "killer" sequences. The first video you showed (we're happy for you to link here) is a really good looking and sounding piece.

For your purposes, I'd look at having 3 sections of maybe 10 secs each of the band playing three different songs in three different locations as the attention grabber (you can use the full versions later in the film), before going into some general ifo about the band (by way of inteview or voice-over). At this early stage I'd include an overview of the band and where they have played/types of venue (eg "xxx is a four piece band playing traditional music together since 2003 at venues from [town] to [town] , including [name a couple fo festivals, more prominant venues]) Thus in the first minute you have given agents/bookers an ideaof what the band sound like in three contrasting songs, look like in three different location (be great of one was a live gig) their experience and the sort of geographic areas covered to date.

That may be all they want. It's certainly all they need to decide wheher to consider the band further.

I think you're right to use the studio recordings an have the musos play along (obviously dropping the live audio in the edit). This will save you a lot of grief and needn't look too fake as the first video above demonstrates. One of the things which adds polish to that first video is the use of a Glidetrack (basically a short dolly/track) which you might consider buying/hiring. A little movement goes a long way to add life to what is basically a static shot (musos sitting around).

I doubt you'd overlook this, but one other crucial area is the sound of the interviews/voice-over. Get the mic as near to the source as possible (without popping or other proximity problems) to eliminate all external sound. Y all means record some separate external sound that you can mix in afterwards if the main track is sounding a little "dead", but ths way you have control.

Good luck - sounds like a great project.
    Tim