Thread: Tinny Sound PLEASE HELP

Default Tinny Sound PLEASE HELP

I've asked a similar question to this before but this is still buggin me. When I capture video from camera to PC the mpeg (or avi) file is great (in terms of quality). However, as soon as I start to edit it using either Windows Movie Maker or Showbiz 2 then the sound gets this really tinny edge to it which really spoils the finished DVD. You can hear the tinniness on the PC so it's there before you burn the finished product however the original captured MPEG (or AVI) file is fine. Can anyone PLEASE help with this. Could it be the sound setting on the camera as I noticed there is a 16bit setting which I've never tried?

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

I'd try a quick test with the 16 bit audio setting first. It's possible your camera is defaulting to 12 bit and your editing software isn't correctly converting it to the PC's native 16 bit.

If it's still tinny, perhaps you're got an audio compressor/decompressor that's got a bug in it. DV audio from the camera has no compression (LPCM), but by the time you're done your editing and are ready to burn the DVD, the audio may have been compressed, decompressed, bit rate changed back and forth and recompressed, thereby multiplying the errors.

Try re-installing Windows Mediaplayer and DirectX too. That's been known to fix subtle audio and video problems.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

what audio settings do u use when encoding ur editited work?
    2 x 21\" HITACHI super contrast monitors.....2 x 200 gig HDD\'s....2 x 512mb dane-elec pc3200.....TV in card (cheap and sh!t!)....3.2 P4 HT....BOARD - ASUS P4C800 - C delux (fsb 800mhz DUAL DDR 400)....GRAPHICS - ATI 256ddr POWERCOLOUR Radeon 9600XT (500mhz/400mhz)....MATROX RT.X100 real time editing card

Whatever the defaults are I suppose. I'm pretty new to this and tend not to fiddle too much. Can you recommend any settings?