Thread: easy question - General issue around setup

Default easy question - General issue around setup

Hi,
    Just a general question around initial seup... I have a digital camcorder linked to PC via firewire. I want to archive my tapes onto DVD with a few simple editing effect but at the same quality. I have started off using MS Moviemaker which seems a breeze to use. I just want to check what the best format i should be using - curently capturing at DV-AVI which is a bit rate of 25mb and a PAL format. MS Movie maker can only seem to save in avi format - is this an issue ??? for best quality should I be using another sw tool that can save in mpeg ?? So basically question is - what the best format for DV capture ?

Thanks

les

the DV AVI codec is best quality. It's what the DV cameras use.

You can download the panasonic dv avi codec from here:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...c_DV_Codec.htm

have fun

ok thanks - so there is no reason to try to use a different format such as mp3 ? or mpeg. Avi is a good a format as anything else ?

thanks
    Les

mp3 is for audio files only.. the video MPEG standards are MPEG1, 2 and 4.

MPEG2 is the technology that DVDs use (i think?) and there are many different standards of MPEG4 - DivX and XviD being the two more popular ones.

If you're planning on creating DVDs, stick with DV-AVI until you're ready to finally author it. If you're planning on putting it on the web, consider using DivX, XviD or possibly Microsoft WMV.

Yes to author onto a DVD, you will have to convert to MPEG2, you will lose quality, hece why your file maybe 12 gig for 1 hour, but you need it around 4.3gig to go onto dvd.

The avi, is basically a non compressed raw video file, straight from camera. On adobe prem pro, you can out put after adding your effects as a mpeg file ready to import into a dvd authoring program like DVD LAB PRO. You can get results which are not far of the quality of your orginal footage, esspecially once played onto a television instead of a pc monitor.

I have basically just expanded on the advice mike gave you, and hope its of some use. happy to answer any other questions if you need any more help...

Blog Entries

Just to avoid confusion, DV is compressed but doesn't use intraframe compression. MPEG on the other hand does, which is why it's not a great choice for editing. You shouldn't notice too much of a drop (if any) when converting from DV to MPEG at higher bitrates - the different compression algorithm takes care of the reduction in datarate.