Thread: Convert FLV to AVI

Default Convert FLV to AVI

I have several Flash video files sitting in my system that I'd like to convert to AVI. I downloaded a simple little freeware called Any Video Converter which does exactly what I need, i.e. convert from one video format to another. This program worked well when converting other formats like MOV or RMVB to AVI, but it's having some bizarre problems when trying to convert FLV to AVI.

I'm finding in many cases that the converted video doesn't match the time length of the original. Sometimes the converted video will be longer and sometimes it'll be shorter. I'm not talking about just 1 or 2 seconds longer or shorter, I'm talking about between 10 seconds to over a minute longer or shorter! The majority of the time the converted video will be longer, but a minority of the times it'll be shorter.

Needless to say the video and audio get out of sync as well. I'm converting to a fairly standard AVI format these days, using the Xvid video format, and the MP3 audio format. I'm keeping the original video resolution, and using a 128kbps MP3 CBR bitrate.

I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with the FLV codecs I'm using, since the program does well with all other formats that I've tried so far. But I could be wrong, maybe the program is at fault, so perhaps if somebody can suggest another choice, hopefully free.

Default videolobster

try to use Videolobster
    Its main advantages are:
    - Absolutely free;
    - Supporting almost all known video and audio formats;
    - There is an ability to set any options for all supported formats that makes the application a completely professional tool;

- There is an ability to apply different filters to video, perform crop and resize;
    - Application has a wizard like interface; you only need to successively perform all steps for your project; Besides you always can return to any previous step;
    - The application can be maximized filling the entire screen, so the whole screen area is used completely; the video player can be resized directly;
    - The application interface can be translated to any language. Now translations for several languages are ready;
    - The professional version of the application has an ability to overlay video with any watermarks such as text, images, pictures, geometric figures, etc

VideoLobster - Wizard-style handy free video converter with ability to add watermarks

Quote Originally Posted by kosmodamien View Post
    try to use Videolobster
    Okay, thanks I'll try it out.

Flvs often use a different frame rate than is considered 'standard' - ie 24 or 30 fps.

You need your output file to match this orignal framerate..... or obviously you'll get various lengths as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston Lang View Post
    Flvs often use a different frame rate than is considered 'standard' - ie 24 or 30 fps.

You need your output file to match this orignal framerate..... or obviously you'll get various lengths as a result.
    Ah, that would make some sense. Is it possible that FLV's use variable-bit-rate video like some audio formats do?

you just need to search "how to convert flv to avi with video converter" use Google, you will got a lot of solution, it is very easy !!

Quote Originally Posted by xili View Post
    you just need to search "how to convert flv to avi with video converter" use Google, you will got a lot of solution, it is very easy !!
    Not really, I did that prior to posting the question in here, since I obviously didn't find the answer on a Google search. The solution turned out to be to make the converted video match the frame rate of the original FLV.

I use Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate, around $50. It converts everything withour a glitch and is real fast.