Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost for perfect video editings

Default Cost for perfect video editings

Hello All,

I'm new to this thread. Me and my partner are going to start delivering some videos to our clients and we want to know that what is the normal price of very good video editing (we will shoot the videos at our end)? Every video is going to be 4-5 minute long. We will surely start hiring soon but we are trying to create our budget.

Please give us good estimated rates.

Hi and welcome - I'd cost it around 45 ph. Though don't divide 1 hour by 5minutes to equal the money shots. capturing. watching, adding graphics/titles/selecting music/cutting to the beat/convert for DVD = Time needed.
    Though you will find cheaper editing quotes, you will need to be specific on all the above when sending a shoot for editing, this saves them time and you money. A serious quote can then be exact.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

If you say an average charge for editing is 50 for one hours work and as a rough guide it takes one hour to edit one minutes worth of video so a rough estimate would be 200-250 for 4-5 minutes video. For that you should expect a full service with DVD and upload versions as needed.

The footage and wanted end result has a large bearing on the cost.

Why can we assume an hours worth of time produces 1 minute of video
    Because people with a lot more experience than you or I have figured it out over a long time.

While I do not disagree with what you say, I think you have to have some sort of average ball park figures that can be banned around. It is hard to give accurate quotes for editing. BUT when you have done a few hundred weddings or music videos or what ever you just have that experience that can give you the confidence to say "sounds like that will be about 500" without being committed until you get all the details then you can give them a more accurate quote.

and am just dubious of a one price fits all system
    I'm not really trying to say one price fits all I'm saying someone who has experience can give, from a brief outline of a job request, a rough estimate price. Based on his knowledge, experience and overheads.

I just cannot accept this often quoted figure as realistic, or even accurate.
    That is why we have free will, to do and think as we see fit.

Mums are always right, well that's what my mum always use to say.

Thumbs up Thanks for giving idea on price

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Hi and welcome - I'd cost it around 45 ph. Though don't divide 1 hour by 5minutes to equal the money shots. capturing. watching, adding graphics/titles/selecting music/cutting to the beat/convert for DVD = Time needed.
    Though you will find cheaper editing quotes, you will need to be specific on all the above when sending a shoot for editing, this saves them time and you money. A serious quote can then be exact.
    Thanks for your reply. That means a 4-5 minute video will take around 1 hour for editing and an estimated price of 1 hour video editing is 45. Your reply is quite understandable because while taking a job we can only quote on the time we will work on that job. We are doing website development and design and every development takes 15 days to a month but we only quote for the hours we work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by sean mill View Post
    Thanks for your reply. That means a 4-5 minute video will take around 1 hour for editing and an estimated price of 1 hour video editing is 45.
    Nope, sorry, you're reading it wrong. I've had jobs where a finished 5 min video had an original 2 hours of footage. All to be captured and sifted. Audio, titles and graphics uploaded and confirmed with the client. In total 6 hours was needed before the final video was ready for mastering.
    As everyone has said, each job can vary enormously. If each project had a similar look on front and back end, then these times could then be reduced dramatically as the 'feel' would already be established in the first edition.
    Unique and individual pieces are just that, and would need their own touches which all need uploading/confirming with clients before mastering and these will all be as time consuming as the first.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Lightbulb I think I got it now

Nope, sorry, you're reading it wrong. I've had jobs where a finished 5 min video had an original 2 hours of footage. All to be captured and sifted. Audio, titles and graphics uploaded and confirmed with the client. In total 6 hours was needed before the final video was ready for mastering.
    As everyone has said, each job can vary enormously. If each project had a similar look on front and back end, then these times could then be reduced dramatically as the 'feel' would already be established in the first edition.
    Unique and individual pieces are just that, and would need their own touches which all need uploading/confirming with clients before mastering and these will all be as time consuming as the first.
    So the per hour price is 45 and time will vary according to the requirement and quality of video. It may take 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours etc..
    I hope this is what you are saying.. Right?

That's it - you got it now

That's it - you got it now
    Sounds great, It seems I have to find an editor who is experienced enough to give quality editing in reasonable amount of time. But thanks a lot for your details because these details are going to help me while choosing a professional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast