Thread: Is this laptop good for video editing?

Default Is this laptop good for video editing?

I want to buy a new laptop for school so portability is important for me. I want to get into video editing as a hobby. I'm not trying to do professional work right away so I figure this laptop would be enough for me to learn the basics and possibly even do some intermediate level stuff. My friend is a DJ and I was thinking I could find secondary work making promo videos for his business contacts and stuff, once I am experienced enough of course. I also plan on using an external monitor while editing so the 14" screen won't be a problem for me.

Here's the link: - MSI X460DX-006US Notebook Intel Core i5 2410M(2.30GHz) 14" 6GB Memory 500GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Specs are:

Intel Core i5 2410M
    500GB hard drive 7200RPM
    6GB RAM
    GeForce GT 540M

There's another version available with the i7 2630 but it only has integrated graphics. I was thinking of going with the i5+gt540 combo because I also want to do some light gaming and I figure the i5 can handle the type of work I would be doing.

Blog Entries

It should be considered firmly at the lower end of what"s capable of editing HD. With the right software combination, it shouLd provide you with acceptable performance. But it's more likely to crash or suffer unexpected performance issues.