Thread: First Wedding Promo - Feedback Appreciated.

Default First Wedding Promo - Feedback Appreciated.

Mostly nicely shot, looks good to me but I've never shot a wedding. I liked some of the colour work but the "wobbly" colours got a bit to much for me. Not too keen on the music it seemed a bit down beat.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-17-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Some very well crafted shots. Beautiful pull focus shots without overdoing it and the crane shot worked well, though the set up/pull down time must slow you down at these critical times. Not too keen on the soft saturation look and all in all it really lacked punch. This is mainly down to the music, which I take it is CF. The audio during the speech seemed very tinny too. Was this radio mic'd up?
    Another bugbear is the jump cuts. Applause in ceremony - jump to register - jump to walking out of church. Something cute/funny always happens in between these times that can be cut in. This always helps keep the continuity more believable.
    Nice pro camera work though.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

I agree with Zero about the qualoty of the shots etc and the continuity stuff. But I feel somewhat stronger about the look.

I didn't like the desaturation/smokey look at all. I thought I was watching through fog, which is probably not what you're aiming at for a wedding.
    On the other hand I looked at another video on your site of the same wedding - and this one looked over-saturated and too "video", if anything.

However, i'd think the former is more likely to put off clients than the latter.
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback i really think its important for me to improve my work, and offer brides a service which they can be fully happy with. That was a promo from the first wedding i shot, audio was shot on a zoom h4 and a zoom h1, however i have ordered a sennheiser G3 set, Anybody used these? i've used the sony UWP V1 before but have been recommended the sennheiser over the sony.

It was all shot on 2 7'ds with a 70-200 2.8 and a 16-35 2.8 the first dance stuff was shot with the 16-35 2.8 plus a Led video light which worked really well for the 30 price tag haha. Overall i am happy with it but i still have a way to go just wanted to say thanks again for the feedback. Positive or Negative it helps me improve.

Glad our combined input helps a little. It's obvious you have honed the filming skills, but the audio, jump cuts, feel for the piece etc will all come through experience. The 'feel' you can't buy or train for.
    We have all been through these early trials and sometimes take offence when the blindingly obvious is pointed out, especially when we and the clients are thrilled. If you make a career in the wedding market you will after a couple of years notice all these minor crits yourself and will agonise over the silliest shot that will make a good wedding video into a breathtaking one.
    You've got a great start with the filming skills though, many leave this skill till last and only notice the wobbles/overexpose/auto focus a few years down the line.
    Good luck and keep us updated!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks i definitely will do, we did the one in the video for free, and it has already led to several enquiries so i guess all is good so far. I suppose it is one massive learning curve after all nobody knows everything