Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new show, looking for feedback. THANK YOU!

Exclamation Starting a new show, looking for feedback. THANK YOU!

This is a new show I have begun and I am looking to make it original and engaging, as well as entertaining and sincere. There are two episodes, this is the latest. Please help me get as much feedback as possible!

cascadiabasement@snappycowboys.com

Cheers!

-Aaron
    Last edited by snappycowboys; 08-16-2011 at 06:52 PM.

Wink

The second link is a private email if you would like to send me something there! Thanks!
    Last edited by snappycowboys; 08-16-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snappycowboys View Post
    The second link is a private email if you would like to send me something there! Thanks!
    Which rather defeats the object of forums, doesn't it? We could all learn something from people's comments.
    Tim

touche! touche!

I suppose if you have a fan base it's a way to promote the band. It's not exactly my kind of thing. I don't like the armature hour photography in it. It's like a fashion trend which I just don't like. I just don't understand why someone would buy a nice camera and then shoot badly framed, wobbly, under/overexposed, out of focus footage.

The sound was a bit up and down as well. The rehearsals sounded awful.

I know this sounds really bad but I'm just being honest with you guys. I suppose it may appeal to teenagers and people who like the band but for the general audience it's very dull and far to long.

what would you recommend for making it less "dull"? it is supposed to be a documentary style episode, not a 5 minute mtv reality show...we want to stay away from getting too flashy so i am generally curious as to your recommendation.

i would think this would appeal less to teenagers and more to adults with an interest in learning about a band..? i know the sound was awful... shot on the fly and the studio space fried our mics!

Your camera style is that of the very fashionable and young therefore I thought you were aiming at the teenage market. Keep your shots steady and in focus before you press the record button. Perhaps the most important part of this type of video is the sound, especially when you are playing. Get someone to monitor the input so you get a better sound. When you are being interviewed get the mic as close as you can to reduce the ambient sound and when you are playing either mime to a backing track (not really what we want) or mic things up properly. As things are in this video the sound was so bad when playing it would put people off you as a band. Which I presume is the opposite of what you want. If it is aimed at the general viewing public keep the vids down to below 5 mins as not many people will watch a 10 min video on YouTube.

In this video there are a few jump cuts in the first interview. If you have to cut use cutaways to transition these like you did at 1:15. It's hard to offer anything but technical advise as I don't want you to loose the good aspects of what you are doing, which is making a video about yourselves and keeping it real.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Haha, the funny thing is this was shot on a consumer JVC camera. This shoot was scheduled weeks in advance and due to travel problems all my gear was left in Seattle. All i had was a wobbily tripod and a single camera that weighed literally about as much as a cell phone. So, I was more looking for input on exiting style and flow over technicality, but I think you provided good feedback for both. This isn't my band, just trying to highlights some lesser known acts. Thanks again!

All i had was a wobbily tripod and a single camera that weighed literally about as much as a cell phone
    That would explain a lot.

Blog Entries

To be honest I think you're on a hiding to nothing if you're looking for a general audience.

If I made a docmentary about a band you'd never heard of, which is basically just interviews of the band telling their story, would you realy bother watching it?

OK, there are reasonns you might (a) for research purposes as you are studying the art of making a documentary about a band (b) if it had a sond track by the band that really appealed to you, (c) it had particularly good looking people in it (d) it was an extremely unusual and interesting story. There are quite probably even more reasons, but they're all pretty specifica and I'm sure you get the general drift.

What I'm getting at is that no matter how well produced the film is, it won't appeal to a general audience unless the content appeals.

It sort of leads back to Midnight's first comment. For people already interested in the band it will work (and to some extent production values don't matter, unless you're competing with other videos about the band). But there is no real interest for a wider audience.

In contrast, if you make a documentary about a famous band, then the content does potentially appeal to a general audience. People do not need to like a band in order to watch to find out why that band appeals to others or (more often, I suspect) for affirmation of their own prejudices about the band. ("That Beyonce - she can't sing, there you go, what did I tell you, can't sing)

If the doc had been about a band I was interested in I wouldn't mind the style of the visuals, not exactly my cup of tea, but it wouldn't distract me. On the other hand Idid find the audio (in the interviews) rather poor. Get a mic in closer to reduce the amount of ambient sound picked up.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast