Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scrowling letterbox

Default scrowling letterbox

Hiya guys,
    I have a nice 15minute shot of clouds accelerated 15x, of which I'll use a few seconds of. However, in shot is a lunatic horse that now motors around it's field like it's got speed up it's arse. It's kind of off-putting. What I would like to do is have a blacked out frame, with a letter box view that pans across the clouds, only showing the audience that which doesn't look like a Monty Python sketch.
    I assume this will be a somewhat more extensive answer, but if there is a help file (cos these have been brilliant at teaching me the software I only picked up a few days ago) I'm sure it'll be a big help.
    A cup of tea shall be drank in honour of the best answer!

Cheers!

edit -- I don't want the view through the letterbox to be moving past, but the letterbox to be moving around inside the frame (it'll be top to half way down, hiding the field below)

Use the Crop/Pan tool. Grab a corner and drag it outward. This will give you the letter box shape. You can then, using key frames, move the box across the screen as desired.

Cool. Half way there - though the letterbox that I create with the dotted lines is stretched to fill the frame so I get the desired view through it, though now distorted. I'd like the picture to remain and the letterbox to move around revealing parts of the image beneath.

Not sure I follow. If you drag the corner of the dotted box outward ie so it's bigger than the original image this should give you the image surrounded by a big black area. Did you have Size About Centre and Lock Aspect Ratio buttons selected. This should give you a portion of the image surrounded by a black area. You can then move this around as you wish.

Ah getting there, I had reduced the dotted lines down to the size of the letterbox - but they actually represent the outer edge of the frame. Increasing it's size has given me the black screen with a letterbox shaped window. But within this is the entire clip - just distorted to fit. I want the image to remain at it's original state, and the letterbox to allow only that part of the frame to be seen - as if you had a piece of card with a hole cut out which you moved around to look at different parts of a larger picture.

Do you know what the Size About Centre and Lock Aspect Ratio are. If you have these selected you should get the required result.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Do you know what the Size About Centre and Lock Aspect Ratio are. If you have these selected you should get the required result.
    I looked them up after you mentioned them and found the buttons - with both highlighted (and unhighlighted) I'm still getting the same problem; the full picture crammed into a tiny window that is now bouncing around a black screen. It's so very close, if only the image would stop fidgeting with the window.

I'm not sure where your going wrong with this. SO may be if you start again. Have the Size About Centre and Lock Aspect Ratio buttons selected, then size the crop window (Dotted box) so it's bigger than the image. Without standing over your shoulder I don't no what else to say. This should be simple.

Interestingly, having the buttons unhighlighted doesn't appear to make any difference to the image. I defaulted everything, sized my lines larger than the image, highlighted the buttons, closed the window - and I get the desired letterbox moving across a black screen but with the full image inside. I've closed and reopened Vegas too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast