Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Midnight Blue Showreel

Default Midnight Blue Showreel

I've been updating my showreel. How can I improve it?

Link to Old version

New version
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-09-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Sorry mate - It just doesn't work for me. It just doesn't 'sell' you really. Some lovely shots but it lacks punch and vitality and energy. If I was a prospect watching it with the idea of booking you all I'd know is that you film nice scenes nicely. It sounds harsh I know - but it is only my opinion.

I think the font you've used is kind of 'dated' and it doesn't do anything interesting....

If I was making a showreel using just the footage you've used there I think I'd struggle. Personally I think you need much more footage, much tighter editing, much punchier soundtrack and much more descriptive text in the absense of a voice over.

Imagine yourself looking online to book someone to film you a commercial. Would what you see in your reel make you feel you had to get in touch as soon as you could?

Remember though - this is all just my opinion.

0:17 - There's something strange with the cut that makes the timing look odd, maybe it's just youtube playback. To me theres something weird about the following 3 shots too. Changing their order might help, but I'm thinking maybe even changing them for more establishing shots like the previous one. perhaps getting wider and getting towards being outside the office.

The forklift truck section through to the pool looks great.

0:37 - The shot starts to zoom towards the end, either hold it still or play it right through the zoom from start to finish. It causes the timing of the cut to the next shot to not work. It's hard to tell if it then would work. If not, playing it through and removing the next shot could be ok.

The next section looks and works really good except I'm not a fan of that bird landing on the feeder shot, regardless of my opinion on the shot I think it causes a lot of hold in the edit and could be a potential switch off point.

1:08 - I don't think the cut to the splash works, I'd remove the splash shot, extend the still frame on the icicle and maybe add some sort of zoom blur type effect to transition into the shot at 1:10

The next sections alright up to the church, but perhaps not as exciting as it could (maybe even should) be.

1:51- I'd maybe try to find a section of this where the camera movement isn't so rough, it's a put off to potential clients. I'd also consider removing the quick shot of the church before it and go straight from the ECU on the eyes to the group of people. But I'm not instantly sure on that.

Excellent shot to close on by the way, it's a shame that the zoom isn't so smooth, but to get that closer I'd use it too, well worth the compromise.

I'm not keen on your titles, it looks like some well shot video, edited well for the most part, with some text just slapped over the top. There's one (maybe more) of the titles that sits in a different position to the others too. I'd keep it consistent, perhaps even lower left. I see where your going with not having capitals at the start of most of the titles, I like to put three little dots at the start if doing this, it can work alright.

I'd recommend spending a bit of time watching titles for various genres and finding something you like to go in the style of.

David.
    Last edited by david walsh; 08-12-2011 at 03:06 PM.

All good valid and helpful points. good spot on the 0:17 secs I don't know what caused that and I didn't notice it before. Also the zoom on the pool was meant to be cut out but I forgot. It was getting late.

I think I really need to learn how to give my presentation more of a bang.

Thanks guys.

Blog Entries

Spend a little while browsing sites looking at showreels and nick all the best ideas.

But remember...

"Amateurs borrow, Professionals steal."
    Take it and make it your own, using it as is isn't good for future development.

David.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    ..Take it and make it your own...
    Since there's not much that would be a 100% original idea wise in the first place I would think that much would be obvious.

How good is this, I get to use 2 quotes in 1 day.

Were all just standing on the shoulders of giants.
    David.

Blog Entries

Being deliberately picky - because I know you want me to be as you want this to be as good as possible.
    0:26 has a nasty "Bloom" going on - I doubt you were using autoexposure as you constantly nag the rest of us not to, so I think you wre actually adjusting it yourself!
    0:47 It may bet the landscape and really look like that - but it jumped out at me as looking slightly tilted.
    Tim

Your right about 0:26 the sun was shining into the lorry and I had to adjust as the folklift was comming into the van as it was dark. I did adjust the landscape but obviousley not enough.

To be honest after taking the advice and looking around at some other peoples showreels, I've desided to give up video and become rocket scientist, it's easier.

I think I'll start again, I need to pick some sort of modern music. Add in a tonn of motion graphics and just use 3 or 4 of my best clips, that's what everyone else seems to do.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast