Thread: Porblem rendering clips for DVD authoring.

Smile Porblem rendering clips for DVD authoring.

I am having difficulty rendering my MP4 clips into a DVD format.

Some background: In October 2009 I took a lot of video in Nepal and India using our Samsung WB550, on the max settings of 1080i. I used a trial version of Corel Studio Pro 4 to do the editing and make the Pal DVD, they were great when played on TV's.

Now: I have returned from Nepal again, same camera, same quality of clips but as I wanted to do the editing on an ongoing basis I bought Sony Vegas Studio HD platinum 10. It looks and feels similar to the Corel and I was able to edit my clips. BUT, I do not seem to get them rendered to a Pal DVD (via DVD Architect studio) without a significant loss in quality, and depending on settings some distortion of the proportions can occur. I have tried experimenting with numerous settings but without success.

The original clips from the camera have these characteristics:
    Video: 30.000 fps progressive, 1280x720x12, AVC

I rendered the 2009 video into mpg: 1440x1080 25fps
    Then it was authored into a Pal DVD with Corel.

I rendered the 2011 video into m2t: 1280x720 29fps AVCHD

I can render the new footage into mpg for viewing on a TV via the USB port, it works fine. I tried to match the rendered quality to the original clips and that worked well. The problem is rendering to DVD's.

We do not have a BluRay player or burner.

For those that are familiar with Vegas Studio 10, please add your tips or tricks so I can get the best quality out of the footage.

Thanks !

Blog Entries

The output for DVD should be MPEG 2 720 x 576 PAL (if UK) Widescreen. This as you'll notice is significantly smaller than your source footage but that's the standard that is set for DVD and that's that. Rendering to 1280 x whatever is simply pointless for DVD.

When I work I always render in Vegas to that standard (There's even a template ready to use - in MPEG 2 rendering choice) and then DVD Architect has no re-rendering when compiling the disc to do at all. Make sure that your Vegas project properties match your source input though, otherwise you may get some distortion in aspect ratio.

Thanks, that worked, the results are much better and similar to what i produced in 2009. The 720 x 576 seemed to be the trick, as when I tried it before I used different ratios of 720 x ? but not the 576.

If I burnt a copy to NTSC for use on players that handle NTSC as well as PAL, would the quality be noticeably improved or not worth the bother with the second version ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cruising View Post
    If I burnt a copy to NTSC for use on players that handle NTSC as well as PAL, would the quality be noticeably improved or not worth the bother with the second version ?
    Why don't you try it and see? I'd be interested in your opinion.
    Tim