Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General workflow plan

Default General workflow plan

Ok quys, I'm now digging into the guts of my composition and I've a question that I don't think fits in here - but I didn't see an alternative forum, so in with the suite I'm working with it goes...

I'm producing a mountain biking video of our recent trip to the Alps. I've now selected of the 287 clips, the 80 that will make the final cut. As there is no story line to follow, the scenes (comprised of numerous clips themselves) can be positioned anywhere in the timeline. The action should ideally reflect something going on in the music track - and here is the problem. It seems like a daunting task to be shuffling around so many clips to find the best fit, with dozens of options to experiment with. The only path I see is just to experiment, but on first test I fitted half the clips of a scene to the music to find the scene just wouldn't fit with the track - possibly an hour gone already.
    I know that this is going to be the real trail-by-fire of what is my first 'thorough' attempt at video editing, and dedication likely my only aide - but does anyone have any advice for what I see as being a long and lonely road here?

Take a break and have a cup of tea and a sandwich. Then continue.

The way I would approach it is to try and create a narrative. That could be starting out, then lots of action then packing up or Start at the top of the hill, ride down, finish at the bottom. Anything which takes us on a journey. This is always better than random clips in no particular order.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

I absolutely agree with Midnight. you do need to find some sort of narrative. Without that, it quickly becomes uninteresting, no matter how good the shots are and the action is. With a narrative, you create something to draw the viewer in and give them an incentive to keep watching - to see where it leads.
    I'm not sure what you mean by your comment about "possibly an hour gone already". Are you suggesting that an hour editing for half a film and getting it wrong is a long time? Unless your film is planned/scripted so you know in advance what shots and the order you want, expect to spend much much much more time editing than one hour for a couple fo minutes.
    Tim

By an hour gone, I meant I'd been positioning clips for an hour, to create 30 seconds worth of film, to find the succeeding clips wouldn't fit the music so I'd have to start again.
    I see what you mean about having a narrative to guide the audience. And I suppose I sort of have one, in that the film opens with our journey down there and then takes the audience through some of the different styles of riding we'd been doing; I have grouped all similar scenes together. It does seem a little odd, It needs some work. But trying to create more of a narrative than this, whilst fitting it to music that might not necessarily have the right timings in the first place seems like herding cats!

Tea and sandwich it is...

I've heard it said that, a very rough benchmark, for editing is one hours work for every minute of video. This may or may not be true. AND I'm sure it depends on a lot of factors.

With the sort of video you are doing currently, I find that become familiar with the footage is a good place to start then work out a rough narrative. Once you have something in front of you it's time to find the right piece of music then fit the clip lengths to fit with the music/beat. This is one way to do things. I'm not saying it's the best it's just my approach for this sort of piece. I often like to leave a piece then come back to it with fresh eyes.

This is not a practical way to approach editing commercially as things would normally be much more structured. I do a lot of "just for fun" pieces and thats how I usually do it. BUT not always. I sometimes know the music I want to use first so put that down then put the clips to fit it. I don't think there is an exact science as it's an individual thing and dependant on the piece you are dealing with. I find it's very much an evolutionary thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    ..I've heard it said that, a very rough benchmark, for editing is one hours work for every minute of video..
    I'd agree with that as a rough average.

Another short while spent trying to full-nelson some clips to fit into some music and it just isn't working. I think the track that I wanted in the background doesn't have the right composition to fit with the clips. So... on with Radio 6 whilst I browse my libraries!
    One advantage that using Vegas over Pinnacle (which I've been moaning about it in other threads) is that I can ressurect parts of a clip that were initially trimmed out to help the timings fit. Had Pinnacle been compatible with footage at 60fps, I'd have been really struggling with extending the duration of each clip right now.
    After this it's on with fine tuning the transitions and effects applied to the clips... you guys must go through some coffee!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oneloosecrank View Post
    I think the track that I wanted in the background doesn't have the right composition to fit with the clips
    Don't forget you can edit the audio too. It requires a little bit of musical understanding as you obviously can't take a random 5 sec section of music and splice it into another random part of the track, but there's no reason why you shouldn't add another chorus or delete a verse (often half a verse). You have to be a bit more cautious with well known tracks - I frequently spot in adverts where they have done just this - but it's all part of the creative process.
    I tend to ue SmartSound for my music, which allows you to specify the length of the piece, change "Moods" at certain key points and even change the instrumentation (this is useful if you wat to "duck" the music under a commentary - rather than simply fade it, you can drop all the dominant parts which in some cases gives a better feel). Even there I often find myself editing out a few bars or repeating a section after I've "composed" the track.
    Tim

Not a bad idea, I'm looking at 4 bars that's extremely upbeat and is right in the way of a clip - I could lop it out... Though the only audio editing suite I have is Audacity, which will probably do the job but it's freeware. I've juggled around some clips and inserted some 'ironic slow-mo' over the upbeat part (I'm thanking bacon for that one) so, I think I've gotten away with it.
    On to a cup of tea and see if that inspires me.

Don't forget you can edit the audio too
    That's a good point Tim. I did this extensively on my Scuba dive video. I just took the 30 second intro from a song of a friend and mixed it up then added a bit of a guitar solo from later in the track for a "fuller sound" where there is no talking or to give the video a "lift".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast