Thread: How to fade from a video overlay and keep sound

Default How to fade from a video overlay and keep sound

Q#2!
    Hi all, I have a JPEG in my video overlay track and a video in the video track that overlap. I would like the sound from the video to remain whilst the overlay is visible, which gradually fades out to reveal the video track. Can't find a help file for this - anyone have some advice?
    Cheers!

Blog Entries

What you describe you want to do is normal behaviour.
    Are you saying that when the still is visible, the audio from the video track is muted?
    What does the audio track waveform show during he section where the JPEC is present?

To fade out your JPEG just grab the top right hand end (where the cirsor changes to a segment shape) and drag back to where you want the fade to start. (There are other ways)
    Tim

Thanks very much, I'm now using the corners to apply fades where as I had been looking through the transitions and scratching my chinny chin chin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oneloosecrank View Post
    Thanks very much, I'm now using the corners to apply fades where as I had been looking through the transitions and scratching my chinny chin chin.
    So sound not a problem now then? Or a red herring?
    Tim

The sound plays right through, even when the still is visible, as I want it to. And I've now got the still to fade out revealing the video beneath. I think when I posed the question I was looking through transitions and wasn't sure how to keep the sound present. I was thinking I'd have to seperate the sound from the video and do a lot of cutting and pasting of clips and transitions. It's blinding easy with those corners though.

Blog Entries

Your thought process is basically correct!

You would have to separate the sound from the video if you were replacing the video on the same track,(ie if you split the video and inserted the JPEG with a crossfade transition - which wouldhave been aother way of accomplishing your task) but as you have found out, as you are not touching the "video" track, the audio that is linked to it remains intact.
    Tim