Thread: Temporal Sharpening?

Default Temporal Sharpening?

This isn't a software "problem" but I didn't find a more appropriate forum for this. Mods, I am sorry if this is misplaced. Also I did search but didn't find anything on this topic. Sorry if I missed anything I should have read first.

Is there any such thing as "temporal" sharpening software available to buy? I may be using the terminology incorrectly. If I understand correctly, sharpening effects (what I'm most familiar with is the unsharp mask in Vegas Pro 10) work only spatially, sharpening the video on a frame-by-frame basis without regard for surrounding frames. It seems to me that by collecting information from several contiguous video frames (assuming there is movement between them), a sharper version of each frame could be intelligently generated.

I have been using Video Enhancer (which uses super-resolution) to upscale video and after some research I understand it to work in the way described above but observe that it seems to smooth more than sharpen. I am wondering if there is something available that works in this way and is specifically geared toward sharpening.

I'm new to all this and apologize if it's a stupid question.

It can't be a stupid question..I don't fully understand it.
    Why would you want to sharpen the video image. I could understand if it was a still photograph and though that a degree of additional contrast might give you the edge you require...Or am I missing the point?
    http://www.soundzshop.com
    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

http://www.soundclick.com/solway

I don't think I am properly understanding your question. I want to, in general, sharpen video that isn't sharp. Here's an example:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIGR View Post
    I'm new to all this and apologize if it's a stupid question.
    It seems like a perfectly reasonable question. What you describe seems feasible and the term "temporal sharpening" describes it perfectly.

However, I'm not aware of anything that does it :(
    Tim

Perhaps the apparent "smoothing" in VideoEnhancer does not more than combine neighbouring frames, with an element of transparency applied.
    I suspect the difficulty with 'temporal smoothing' is that the software must be able to recognise (or be taught) all the distinct objects in the scene. And information about the 'blur', whether it is a focus problem or arises from an object's movement, or cam zoom or some other camera effect. Otherwise, I am not sure how any software could realise that a particular pixel in one frame relates to a pixel in the next frame.
    Having watched CSI on TV, I feel sure there are forensic based software apps which can do this with facial recognition systems