Thread: DVD Architect Studio 5.0, new user issues

Default DVD Architect Studio 5.0, new user issues

NEW Thread - a place to discuss DVD making.

I've found many Tutorials on Vegas Studio, Vimeo and YouTube are good starting places, also the software "suite 10" includes a fast-paced Tutorial, by VAAST.

Trying to make sense of DVD Architect is made difficult, IMHO, because there is little connection between the different parts that constitute the "Production Suite" - the Forum at Sony, even suggests as much, suggesting that a "Wizzard might be useful" (those that find it easy, can switch it off).

On an earlier Thread, a poster complained about image distortion, which I read as being an Aspect-ration issue, with my limited knowledge as there were no other replies, I suggested this was (as Sony suggests, see **below) because DVDs are not suited to widescreen and that BlueRay is needed. This was attacked as being "rubbish" . . . . . I replied courtesly . . . . as follows:-

"- - - - - - - Thank-you for your corrections.

I'm using a 16:9 camera and when I view it, (having passed through Architect Studio), it's 4:3 on my old telly. [EDIT: & See further on}
    Yet, a broadcast modern blockbuster film is displayed in Letterbox-style, so I presume it's not the telly. A 5-min DVD has been burnt in 4:3 - I don't want the conversion, so why is Architect Studio taking on this decision?

Some pointers as to where this might be fixed would be most welcome*.
    - Until your comments, I've been quite happy with this inconvenience. Indeed I'm rather pleased when I get a recorded disc out of Architect Studio at all.

Sony Vegas Studio 10, adjusts its operation to match the incoming format (a change I understand from V9), - so I wonder why my DVD's are clipped.

I will say though, that Architect Studio is particularly difficult to use, being unconcerned about getting my stuff onto a DVD, rather what buttons I want, music, effects, themes and so on. All of which I'm happy to leave to a time later when I am knee-deep in modest DVDs.

* I've searched YouTube and whilst there is plenty on Vegas (of varying qualities), I've found very little on the other aspects of the Vegas Production Suite.

**EDIT (9Aug2011)- Did some digging re HD on DVD and it's here, from Sony Software Centre/knowledgebase: (Of course it could be wrong, but if so, no-one's corrected it...)
    "..Sony Software Centre knowledge-base..link/info as follows...

https://www.custcenter.com/app/answe...4334/related/1
    This starts telling customers the advantages of BlueRay . . . . .
    ....If you do not have a Blu-ray burner or Blu-ray player, you can convert your HD videos to standard definition for burning onto a standard DVD.**This will play back in your DVD player.**The video will not be HD, but it will still have excellent quality, since it comes from a high-definition camcorder.**For more information on converting your video to standard definition for a DVD, please*click here. ..."

(So, as I read the above; it seems Sony think the best you can do is to create SD vid for DVD's - well, I'm keen to know if there is a way round it, esp. as my vids are typically under 10 mins, so it would seem possible to put several (16x9)HD on one Disc.
    -and my original post reflected this contention.... +over to you, best regards (END of earlier posting)

- That's where the issue ends as far as my understanding of the DVD/BlueRay and Widescreen issues.....

....so I'm hoping some experienced Posters can pick-over the issues and suggest further reading, Architect Studio Tutorials, etc. which may be useful for others as well.

[ However, since posting the above, I've played some of my most-recent DVD's and find that the TV does have black bars top and bottom, but I'm yet to measure the aspect ratio - but it can't be 4:3 so all I can say is this becoming somewhat curious... ]

If I can suggest, it would be useful to know how Regular-Users store their Rendered vids, as I don't really want to fill up the C-drive, which is where Sony Vegas Studio tries to put them.

If I put Rendered Vids in a folder "Renders" (which has sub-folders for each Project), on a second SATA-HDD in the PC (it's drive "K" but that's because other letters are allocated) - but I don't recall any success with this arrangement; it's as though there is something I'm missing when sending the Rendered file(s) to/from this location.
    Why this is, I don't know, but it is possible that Architect Studio is unwilling to take Rendered files from drive-K - Sadly Architect Studio doesn't flag-up what files are needed -and- it would seem it won't check what it's given, although I've seen "messages" prior to burning, which suggest the files will be compressed - yet that's what I thought Architect did, and then burnt it.

anyone out there....?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 08-11-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Trying to sort through your question is difficult simply as you have kind of gone all over the place with it.

BUT - in one part you're talking about HD on DVD and kind of mixing 4:3 and widescreen into the same context, and I know the thread where you suggested DVD "wasn't for widescreen" and I was so aghast has prompted you to start this thread.

BluRay is for HD (although SD can of course be delivered on it too). widescreen or not irrespective.
    DVD is for SD (HD cannot be delivered on DVD) and again - widescreen or not irrespective.

I think your other issues we should tackle once you've got this bit under your belt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    ..However, since posting the above, I've played some of my most-recent DVD's and find that the TV does have black bars top and bottom, but I'm yet to measure the aspect ratio - but it can't be 4:3 so all I can say is this becoming somewhat curious....
    Just a tip - but 4:3 and 16:9 are not the only aspect ratios... The SOund of Music for instance is presented (on standard DVD) in 2:20:1 - which is why black bars are present on your screen.

Blog Entries

..a broadcast modern blockbuster film is displayed in Letterbox-style, so I presume it's not the telly. A 5-min DVD has been burnt in 4:3 - I don't want the conversion, so why is Architect Studio taking on this decision...
    It's not - it simply hasn't been told otherwise by you.

Blog Entries

..This was attacked as being "rubbish" . . . . . I replied courtesly...
    My tone was derived from the fact that you gave the OP incorrect information - and it was more exasperation at what you think you knew more than anything else.