Thread: Audio first / HD Video second

Default Audio first / HD Video second

Can anyone tell me what to look for when buying a mid priced PC for Audio and Video editing?

I remember reading somewhere that Audio and video required different sorts of processing to run at optimum levels?
    What are they so I can judge the correct sort of compromises.

I'm doing HD video editing with sony vegas HOWEVER the PC also needs to be as good as possible to run Pro Tools as this is what I do for a living and will be its main task!

Thanks!

I would recommend a i7 level of processor for the video editing a nice graphics card but you don't have to go over the top with it as Vegas does not take advantage of your graphics cards power like Premier CS5 does. Having at least two internal hard disks is usually a good thing, one for the OS and programs and the other one for the media. In the old days you needed a very good add on sound card but these days the ones which come with the mother board seem fine unless you are thinking of doing seriouse multi-track recording ie producing a full musical piece.

The easiest tip is get the best one you can afford.

I do lots of sound effects work and sound design so I do multitrack quite a bit. I also rum quite a few audio plugins at the same time.
    I also rum Pro tools hardware so sound card makes no difference.
    I was looking at i7 stuff so thats a confirmation for me however its the question I asked that I would like an answer to if anyone else can help:
    I remember reading somewhere that Audio and video required different sorts of processing to run at optimum levels?
    What are they so I can judge the correct sort of compromises.

Would just like to know so I can expand my tiny brain and not be fooled by pesky sales people!

Thanks anyway Mr M.B.

I've never heard this.