Thread: Inserting Stopwatch/Timer (1/100 seconds) Into Video Clip

1. Default Inserting Stopwatch/Timer (1/100 seconds) Into Video Clip

I would like to insert a stopwatch/timer into a video clip that will start at a specific point and will measure the elapsed time in one hundredths of a second. I have tried using the Adobe Premiere SMPTE timecode video effect but it only counts upwards in seconds. With the Premiere SMPTE timecode the numbers to the right of the seconds are the frame count numbers and not tenths and one hundredths of a second.

I am not sure if I need to use an overlay video of a timer or if it can be done with an Adobe Premiere video effect or imported object?

The video is 25fps PAL and is of a sporting event where fractions of a second play a role.

Any help most appreciated.

Would this help? The AVI Clock Creator - Home

3. Default

Thx for the reply,

I have managed to find a couple of free stopwatch video timers (gif & mpeg) that are supposed to be OK to overlay into my sporting event video. I think that the AVI clock creator link that you provided is the tool that creates this type of stuff. All I need to do now is to get the gif or mpeg video timer as an overlay into my sporting video and locate it at the correct starting point.

I have used the Premiere Pro razor tool to insert cut points at the precise frame range that I wish to insert the stopwatch into, however, as a total novice with Premiere Pro I am not sure how to insert the overlay video into this frame range?

Bracknell, Berkshire, UK

Interesting. The aboslute lowest level of granularity you will get in your video is the frame rate. What is it that you need to time to 1/100th of a second for when you can only show 24/25/30 frames per second.

To overlay in Prem pro simply drop the timecode video on a new layer above your video and then change the layer blend mode until you find one you like. If the timer is white on black then try 'screen'.

I had understood the poster wanted to see the real time of that frame in milliseconds, not the frame number, e.g: For a clip at 30 fps, then at 3 decimal places; Frame 1 starts at 0.000secs, Frame 2 starts at 0.033secs.
    However, maybe it could be even more (and rather pointlessly!) accurate. A better value would account for the shutter speed; and would display the time range (the start and end times) of the frame e.g: If the frame had a 1/250 sec shutter speed; then at 3 decimal places; Frame 1 ends at 0.004secs and Frame 2 ends at 0.034secs.

I have been working on a timing system that alllows for the time indexing of a video to 1/100 of a second. Fps can be adjusted but the program picks up the fps for anything up to 60 fps automatically. Checkout and give me a shout.